Push Notification dynamic Icon

I’m attempting to use Expo push notifications on Android and I was wondering if it was possible to have a dynamic icon for the notification (I know if you build a standalone app the icon will automatically update to be my app’s icon, this is not what I mean).

I was looking to push a notification with an image attached to it as a url. As an example below the green android robot would be the custom image with the app’s icon in the blue circle next to it:

3 Likes

Hi, we don’t support per-notification icons right now. You app’s icon is always displayed as the main icon.

How to display app’s icon as main icon, I configured in notification.icon in app.json but it doesn’t work, it displays just like an empty icon in Android. My settings as in below:

"expo": {
    "notification": {
      "icon": "./assets/images/icon.png"
    },
    "loading": {
      "icon": "./assets/images/transparent.png",
      "hideExponentText": true,
      "backgroundImage": "./assets/images/splash.png"
    },
1 Like

+1 ! I’d like to be able to set per-notification icons. How could I do it now?

1 Like

Still no update on this?

From app.json configuration it looks like you can only define a single icon for all push notifications.

1 Like

HI, So there are few requirements when it come to the small logo that apears on the to lable (no the notification, just an icon that nofification has came). Actually this is what can be configured in app.json file the icon needs to be tranparen and 96x96 pixels. You can try to create a test in Paint3D (regular one I think doesn’t have an option for it, Canvas → Transparency and then use ereser to). It’s kind of easy if you know how to do it :frowning:

1 Like

Hi Expo team,
I would like to follow up if this feature is supported or on the roadmap. Thanks!