Problems with installing EXPO

Hi! I’m Brazilian and a beginner with programming and I want to use the expo to create a mobile APP. I tried to install EXPO where I have an environment with Latest LTS Version: 14.18.1… but I’m having trouble installing. Inside the console the following messages appeared:

npm WARN deprecated urix@0.1.0: Please see GitHub - lydell/urix: [DEPRECATED] Makes Windows-style paths more unix and URI friendly.
npm WARN deprecated har-validator@5.1.5: this library is no longer supported
npm WARN deprecated resolve-url@0.2.1: GitHub - lydell/resolve-url: [DEPRECATED] Like Node.js’ `path.resolve`/`url.resolve` for the browser.
npm WARN deprecated chokidar@2.1.8: Chokidar 2 will break on node v14+. Upgrade to chokidar 3 with 15x less dependencies.
npm WARN deprecated chokidar@2.1.8: Chokidar 2 will break on node v14+. Upgrade to chokidar 3 with 15x less dependencies.
npm WARN deprecated uuid@3.0.0: Please upgrade to version 7 or higher. Older versions may use Math.random() in certain circumstances, which is
known to be problematic. See There’s Math.random(), and then there’s Math.random() · V8 for details.
npm WARN deprecated querystring@0.2.0: The querystring API is considered Legacy. new code should use the URLSearchParams API instead.
npm WARN deprecated uuid@3.4.0: Please upgrade to version 7 or higher. Older versions may use Math.random() in certain circumstances, which is
known to be problematic. See There’s Math.random(), and then there’s Math.random() · V8 for details.
npm WARN deprecated uuid@3.4.0: Please upgrade to version 7 or higher. Older versions may use Math.random() in certain circumstances, which is
npm WARN deprecated request@2.88.2: request has been deprecated, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142
npm WARN deprecated svgo@1.3.2: This SVGO version is no longer supported. Upgrade to v2.x.x.
npm WARN deprecated graphql-tools@3.0.0: This package has been deprecated and now it only exports makeExecutableSchema.\nAnd it will no longer receive updates.\nWe recommend you to migrate to scoped packages such as @graphql-tools/schema, @graphql-tools/utils and etc.\nCheck out https://www.graphql-tools.com to learn what package you should use instead

If anyone can let me know what better solution I should take, I would like to thank you very much… thank you all

We resolve npm warnings whenever we can, and usually this means upgrading or switching dependencies, but we don’t always have control over this. Sometimes a package has moved to a new name and made breaking changes at the same time, for example dropping support for a specific Node version that we support in expo-cli. Usually the warnings you see are from distant downstream dependencies, eg: expo-cli depends on package a which depends on x which depends on y which depends on z. we have to wait for a to update their dependency on x which results in updating y and z.

Basically every non-trivial package in the Node ecosystem will come with messages like this on install due to the unfortunate way that unactionable warnings are exposed to users. Some tools use ncc to vendor the dependencies, which essentially hides the warnings but the underlying code is basically the same.

We update dependencies whenever it makes sense to, and we do that frequently. These warnings will not interfere with your usage of expo-cli :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :wink:

You shouldn’t need to use sudo to install a global package. If you get a error otherwise, it means that NPM has been installed the wrong way.

Please completely remove NPM and Node. Install NVM to manage Node and do it the right way.

You can also SKIP using global packages all together. Just use NPX, for example:

• npx expo init projectname
  • npx expo start / npm start
  • npx expo android

NPM doesn’t recommend people to use global packages anymore, instead use NPX.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.