Potential issue with Expo backend rewning auth token too much resulting inTooManyProviderTokenUpdates

1. SDK Version: 40.0.0
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): iOS

Today I got an error receipt saying “TooManyProviderTokenUpdates”. I checked this error and it seems to be - apns response TooManyProviderToken… | Apple Developer Forums

I believe the answer provided by LazyInstantiation is incorrect and they are conflating DeviceTokens (unique token that identifies an app on a specific device) with ProviderTokens (used for token-based authentication when making requests to APNs).

According to the APNs documentation, the 429 response with error string ‘TooManyProviderTokenUpdates’ means

The provider’s authentication token is being updated too often. Update the authentication token no more than once every 20 minutes.
Make sure you are not generating a new provider token for each request. The same provider token should be re-used (it should be refreshed before the 60 minute expiration but not more frequently than 20 minutes).

Is this an issue on Expos side?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.