Painpoints with Expo client

I am experiencing the following quality of life issues with Expo.

a)

One of the big plus points of React Native is faster compile time which enables me not to spend huge amount of time waiting for reloads between every code changes in my file.

I did notice that it takes around 30-40 secs between every compile of my code to see it in Expo client .

b) The second thing that is (mildly) annoying is the appearance of this screen EVERY TIME I compile my code.

Scenario

I add X lines of code and would like to check how it works in Expo.
It takes 30 secs to see the change.
But not before showing this “helpful option menu”.
There is no way for me to dismiss it permanently (I have to click on the “X”)
If there is a bug in the code I change my code in IDE and when the code is shown in the expo client again it shows this “helpful option menu”

I have attached this.

This really is intrusive especially for code which presents an animation on startup :frowning:

The menu shouldn’t be showing up each time. Have you tried pressing Got It instead of X?

Regarding bundle loading time, you’re likely seeing slower performance because Expo sets up an optional network tunnel. This makes it so your device doesn’t need to be on the same network as your computer or require your WLAN to let devices connect to each other over the LAN, which is slower since the connection goes over the internet but works in many more scenarios.

If you find that bare React Native’s bundle loading works for you, you can set XDE / exp to use “LAN” mode which just uses your LAN IP in the URL instead of the exp.direct tunnel host. If your device connects with the LAN URL you’ll see a speed up but you need to be on the same WiFi network.

1 Like

“The menu shouldn’t be showing up each time. Have you tried pressing Got It instead of X?”

LOL

I feel like an idiot :slight_smile:

Thanks for pointing out the obvious ! :slight_smile:

And for the other issue (slow compile time), I will try out the “LAN mode” and update this thread

Thanks !!!

1 Like

“exp to use “LAN” mode which just uses your LAN IP in the URL instead of the exp.direct tunnel host”

Wonderful.
Both of your suggestions were right on target mate :slight_smile:

Gday !

1 Like

That’s great to hear. I’ll check if it was intended for X to be different than Got It, it could be that the intent was for both buttons to do the same.