OTA Update Over Cellular

This is less a request for help but more just a question about OTA updates. So if my users are on a cellular network and I do an OTA update then they will be forced to download that new JS bundle via their cellular network correct? Or will it only happen over wifi?

Hey @vivintsolar,

If you publish a new update, users will download the new JS bundle if they are on cellular or wi-fi. It just depends on when they open the app up next after you’ve published. There is a slight difference in how downloading the new bundle works per platform…you can read more about it here: https://docs.expo.io/versions/latest/guides/how-expo-works.html#publishingdeploying-an-expo-app-in-production

Cheers,

Adam

Right, I get that. I’m just wondering what the implications would be for the user if they launch the app and trigger the download on device to occur over cellular.

I would imagine it consumes a pretty good amount of cellular data (40 MB app with a handful of OTA updates). To make matters even worse as far as I can tell there’s no way to turn that type of functionality off.

A user can opt out of updating an app over cellular from the OS level but that’s only for in store updates. It would be nice to have that type of functionality for OTA updates as well.

Ah, my bad, misunderstood your initial question. We have a new version of the Updates API that will allow you to manually control when your updates occur. You could use it in conjunction with React Native’s NetInfo API and only download new bundles when ConnectionType === 'wifi' so your users don’t download while on their cellular connections. Hopefully it will land in one of the next SDK releases, but at this current point in time there is nothing you can do to prevent users from fetching bundles.

Cheers,

Adam

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.