New bundled expo-cli start is returning a manifest that cannot be parsed by expo-dev-launcher

SDK Version: 47
Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android

We are currently going through the upgrade from expo SDK 45 from 47. Part of the upgrade to 46 involves the recommended switch to using the bundled expo-cli, rather than the global instance.

When we make this change, and run npx expo start --dev-client, our android app throws an error when selecting the dev server, with the message:

Value ----------------------------224819657222108214122421 of type java.lang.String cannot be converted to JSONObject

When I hit the dev server url (eg. http://192.168.0.146:8081/?platform=android) manually to obtain the manifest, I can see it is indeed starting with the above value, as it contains some meta-data, eg.

Content-Disposition: form-data; name="manifest"
Content-Type: application/json

{"id":"f5c3b7be-999c-436e-b9c4-b453cf873af0","createdAt":"2023-01-12T10:13:41.499Z","runtimeVersion":"1.e","launchAsset":{"key":"bundle","contentType":"application/javascript","url":"http://10.20.0.174:8081/index.bundle?platform=android&dev=true&hot=false"},"asset

When I switch back to using the globally installed CLI as per the instructions in the upgrade blog (so changing the start command from npx expo start to expo-cli start), the same test results in the manifest being returned without the supplementary data, and the app can be loaded successfully.

I also have this problem, it also happens for me when I don’t use the --dev-client option.

I seem to have solved it for me. Seemingly it is related to expo-upates. After removing it and all accompanying configuration and reinstalling the npm modules my manifest is back to normal.

Just so you can replicate my testing steps:
I created a new expo-project, copied the code and package*.json into the new project installed the missing modules except expo-updates and then it started as usual.

Maybe this works for you as well!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.