Navigation drawer poor responsiveness in iOS 14.4 with Expo 40

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 40.0.0
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): iOS

The side navigation drawer is unreliable in iOS 14.4 with Expo 40. It works perfectly in Android, is fast and responsive. In iOS, it often works but then sometimes just won’t come out. After it has failed once, repeated swipes usually don’t help, and it requires a “cooling off” period of a few seconds before it will work again. Even when it does come out, it is picky about how to swipe, and just doesn’t seem as responsive as on Android. My testers couldn’t get the drawer to work at all because they weren’t swiping “correctly”, which suggests how picky it is about the swipe.

Another poster on this forum confirmed that the problem exists even with the minimal example app, so it doesn’t appear to be related to app content or code.

A search around forums suggests that this is a problem that only appeared with Expo 40, so I assume that the problem could have its root in Expo itself. Other people suspect the react-native-gesture-handler or react-native-reanimated as the cause, but again, people report that it worked on Expo versions prior to 40.

Has anybody else experience this issue? Do you have any further leads about its cause? I’m willing to file an issue on GitHub, but at this stage it’s not clear to me which repo would be the target.

I’ll post some of my versions below:

"@react-native-community/masked-view": "0.1.10",
    "@react-navigation/drawer": "^5.12.4",
    "@react-navigation/material-bottom-tabs": "^5.3.13",
    "@react-navigation/native": "^5.9.2",
    "expo": "~40.0.0",
    "react": "16.13.1",
    "react-dom": "16.13.1",
    "react-native": "https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-40.0.1.tar.gz",
    "react-native-gesture-handler": "^1.10.1",
    "react-native-paper": "^4.7.1",
    "react-native-reanimated": "^1.13.2",
    "react-native-screens": "~2.15.2"

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.