Multiple FCM server keys for a single project

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 38
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android and iOS

I have a somewhat unique setup, where I have a single code base and expo project, which is used to build multiple (over 150) different standalone apps. I have a file structure where I use the --config flag when I call the expo:build command, which allows me to build these individual standalone apps from a single expo project. I had an issue in the past with APNs keys, and I figure it out with the help of the expo team on this topic. And it turns out that the expo servers support multiple APNs Keys for a single project.

When it comes to FCM server keys, I see that in the past it was stated that multiple FCM server keys for a single project were not available back then, as mentioned (in this topic), but I also noticed that the expo:push:android:upload received support for the --config flag, which gave me the hopes that multiple FCM server keys are now supported. With that assumption, I tried it, but it seems that even using the --config tag and pointing to different app.json files with different android package identifiers, the FCM server key is still replaced in the expo servers.

Did this change? Are multiple FCM server keys supported now? Is the behavior mentioned above a bug, or was the --config flag not meant to be used this way (to manage multiple FCM server keys)?

The main reason why I’m asking this is because I’m getting a warning that I am reaching the limit on the maximum number of apps that I can have within a single firebase project, which means that I will not be able to have all our apps with notifications properly working unless I am able to upload multiple FCM server keys to the expo servers.

I read on the firebase faq, and they recommend that “white-labeled” apps should have a separate project for each of its “instances”, as mentioned here :

For example, if you develop a white label application, each independently labeled app should have its own Firebase project.

Thank you in advance for your help. It will be extremely appreciated, as always.

I don’t mean to bother, but I’m tagging key users that were very helpful in the past:
@wkozyra @sjchmiela

pointing to different app.json files with different android package identifiers

for expo it’s still the same project (it might change in the future)

You can do that with --config flag, but if you want to have multiple fcm keys you will also need to have a different slug for every app.

Thank you for the info @wkozyra .
Any plans on supporting multiple FCM server keys for the same slug/project but different package identifier, like you do for iOS?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.