Missing Push Notification Entitlement - ios build

Hi there,

I’ve built my ios standalone app using expo build:ios and I’ve received an email from Apple saying that my app is missing the push notification entitlement. I’ve read different possible fixes which go around having to add the certificate manually and clearing the existent push certificate. I also noticed that when Expo creates my bundle identifier the push notification is not enabled on my App Id.

Please assist.

Best : )

Dear Developer,

We identified one or more issues with a recent delivery for your app, “Bumba Pros”. Your delivery was successful, but you may wish to correct the following issues in your next delivery:

Missing Push Notification Entitlement - Your app appears to register with the Apple Push Notification service, but the app signature’s entitlements do not include the “aps-environment” entitlement. If your app uses the Apple Push Notification service, make sure your App ID is enabled for Push Notification in the Provisioning Portal, and resubmit after signing your app with a Distribution provisioning profile that includes the “aps-environment” entitlement. Xcode does not automatically copy the aps-environment entitlement from provisioning profiles at build time. This behavior is intentional. To use this entitlement, either enable Push Notifications in the project editor’s Capabilities pane, or manually add the entitlement to your entitlements file. For more information, see Local and Remote Notification Programming Guide: Configuring Remote Notification Support.

After you’ve corrected the issues, you can use Xcode or Application Loader to upload a new binary to App Store Connect.

Best regards,

The App Store Team

Hi @brunokiafuka!

Have you already tried the solutions in this forum post?

1 Like

Hi @charliecruzan, I’ve managed to solve the issue.

1 Like

Is there any way to do without enabling Push Certificates?

The thing is, that our App worked since 2017 without Push Certificates, as we just don’t use Push Notifications for this App.

2 Likes

@imeos, you mean you built your app with Expo without Push Certificates?

As far as I know, Expo requires them in builds since it’s possible to add Push Notification functionality to your app afterwards.

Thanks for the quick reply @charliecruzan.

Fortunately I was able to submit the build for review yesterday, despite the email warning me about the “Missing Push Notification Entitlement”.

App update got reviewed today and approved, so it seems to work without that certificate if you don’t use push notifications at all for your App.

1 Like

Ah okay, that was my misunderstanding then!

Thanks for letting me know, and glad your app was approved :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.