Looking forward to features coming in RN 0.53 and 0.54

To summarize what I’ve learned about Expo and React Native versions:

• The latest Expo SDK (25) is based on React Native 0.52 from December
  • The latest released version of React Native is 0.53
  • The React Native docs default to showing RN 0.54-RC (but the docs are not necessarily up-to-date)

Two upcoming features I am excited about:

• RN 0.53 makes the snapToInterval property of ScrollViews work on Android, not just iOS. This is not reflected in the docs, but it is in the changelog.
  • RN 0.54 will make the lineHeight style property apply to TextInputs on iOS, not just Android. This means TextInput with an explicit lineHeight will be laid out more like Text across platforms. Evidence of the change is this GitHub issue.

It’s just a waiting game at this point! Sometime in March or April, I can forget about both of these issues. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to the future too :slight_smile:

Confirming that SDK 26 should arrive soon, which is based on 0.53.

Blob support for me. Can’t wait for that. However I may have to eject from expo anyway as firestore security rules don’t work with the web sdk on react native so I’ll be forced to use react-native-firebase.

Holding off ejecting for the time being though because you never know.

To excited to wait to upgrade ,thanks for all your work.

1 Like

Just checking in on this thread. Is there any news on a release date for the next version of Expo SDK? Like these guys, I’m also hoping to be able to use recent React Native versions, and it seems like Expo has been stalled the last few months.

Did something bad happen in testing or something? I see movement and comments on sdk26 in github…

My bad - looks like I missed the memo!

1 Like

Glad you found it @amcvitty! Let us know if we can do anything to make your experience better with Expo.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.