"Legal" to publish with different name to different release channel?

Here’s the scenario I’d like to have:
App bundles 1 and 2 have their own name and bundle ID
When I publish to release-channel beta, it publishes to app bundle 1, when I publish to default, it publishes to app bundle 2.
I’m currently getting some weirdness, so I just wanted to check, is this supposed to work?

Hi! If I’m reading correctly, you have a single Expo project (Expo, let’s say), and you want to have two different release channels for project1: default and beta. You’d like to build standalone apps for each release channel (project1-default and project1-beta, let’s say) and publish updates to them separately. Is that correct? As I understand it this should be supported but there may be edge cases I’m not aware of. I think @quinlanj might be able to answer questions in more detail. That said, could you provide more information about what’s happening that’s of concern?

Yes, you understood correctly.

The issue I ran into is that the production standalone app “adopted” the latest beta release. I was wondering if this had something to do with the order I published them, but I didn’t really know how to debug it. New publications did not update the standalone app, and it continued to use beta. It’s also possible I just used the wrong flag when building. I have since published a new standalone replacement that uses a production release channel, and it’s working well so far.

Hi @buishi, you can use exp publish:history and exp publish:details to figure out what version of your app each channel should have returned (more details here: https://docs.expo.io/versions/latest/distribution/advanced-release-channels)

Let us know if the version users are seeing are not consistent with the ones returned by publish:history and publish:details

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.