iTunes - Export compliance

IPAs from exp build:ios do not contain export compliance information.

So every time we upload an IPA to TestFlight, we have to manually answer export compliance questions before the build can go to TestFlight testers.

This means we can’t script releases to iTunes/TestFlight (using Fastlane).

The iTunes questions can be avoided by setting ITSAppUsesNonExemptEncryption in Info.plist (and possibly other keys).

Would Expo consider adding this to app.json?

Thank you!

Hi, it’s here! :slight_smile:

Hi, when I set the “ITSAppUsesNonExemptEncryption” and try to build again using exp build:ios, I get this error:

Field: ios.config - should NOT have additional property 'ITSAppUsesNonExemptEncryption'

Don’t know what to do…

Thanks in advance

Just to clarify, are you setting it as usesNonExemptEncryption in your app.json? Just want to make sure you’re not using a ITSAppUsesNonExemptEncryption key.

https://docs.expo.io/versions/latest/guides/configuration.html#usesnonexemptencryption

That was exactly what I was doing!
I remember I read somewhere it should be there in app.json (maybe/probably I miss read the info)
Gonna change it right away!

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey guys,

i add the option ‘usesNonExemptEncryption’ to my app.json like this:
{ “expo”: { …, “ios”: { …, “config”: { “usesNonExemptEncryption”: false } }, … }

But when i look into the build logs in the section where the manifest is read, i don’t see the config part in the ios object.
And when i upload this ipa via ApplicationLoader to App Store Connect then this build is listed with “missing export compliance”.
I don’t know if i can start internal testing by answering the famous 2 questions about encryption with yes (my app is very simple, a calculator for a specific business domain, no encryption, no social networking, simply calculating :slight_smile: ) because i don’t want to get into the process of sending annual reports to apple - simply because it’s not necessary.

How can i get this ‘usesNonExemptEncryption’ into my ipa so that this build is listed in AppStoreConnect with respecting this option? Am i adding this option into app.json in a wrong way? Or am i simply understanding the process when to send this annual reports completely wrong? :smile:

Thx in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update:
Seems like my last try worked somehow since the build, after uploading to AppStoreConnect, is not listed with “missing export compliance” anymore…great one!
So, for now, my question becomes obsolete…

4 Likes