Is Expo ideal for my use case?

I have a next.js project, which is also a PWA.

I only need 2 things for my mobile users. ability to have notifications and to be able to have the app on the play/app store.

Im wondering if I can keep my next js codebase and wrap it with Expo so I can have native app and then being able to send notifications(specially IOS)

Hi @imeggcellent

If you do not absolutely require an app on the App/Play stores you could send notifications to the browser. e.g. See these answers for some information on that:

Your users could add your web app as an icon on their phone’s home screen:

The way you describe this, you could have an app that allows a user to identify themselves to your server and otherwise literally just shows a logo and waits for notifications.

This implies that you want the user to be able to use your web app from within the Android/iOS app?

You could create an Expo app with basically a full screen WebView component that loads your web app inside of it.

1 Like

Currently IOS doesnt support web push notifications and thats solely the only reason I want to make it native.

Google play accepts TWA which is a wrapper of PWA so I will only have to make it native for IOS. But I dont want to change a lot of my codebase, or change my codebase from next to react native only because of that.

And from what I understand from Expo is more like react native to web and not web to native

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.