iOS App does not open on device

• command used to build .ipa exp build:ios
  • expo handled the certificates (distribution and push notification)
  • device tested on AWS Device farm: iPhone 5, iOS: 10.3.2

Syslog from the device farm
Jan 16 12:34:15 9902472814 SpringBoard(FrontBoard)[57] <Error>: Unable to register for exec notifications: No such process Jan 16 12:34:15 9902472814 SpringBoard(BaseBoard)[57] <Error>: Unable to get short BSD proc info for 344: No such process Jan 16 12:34:15 9902472814 SpringBoard(BaseBoard)[57] <Error>: Unable to get proc info for 344: No such process Jan 16 12:34:15 9902472814 SpringBoard(BaseBoard)[57] <Error>: Unable to obtain a task name port right for pid 344: (os/kern) failure (0x5) Jan 16 12:34:15 9902472814 SpringBoard(BaseBoard)[57] <Error>: Unable to get short BSD proc info for 344: No such process Jan 16 12:34:15 9902472814 SpringBoard(FrontBoard)[57] <Error>: Unable to obtain a process handle for <FBApplicationProcess: 0x161434700; com.xxxxxxxx.mobileapp; pid: 344>

<FBApplicationProcessLaunchTransaction:0x170186590> Aborting with error: Error Domain=BSTransactionError Code=3 "Transaction aborted. (parent transaction)" UserInfo={transaction=<FBApplicationProcessLaunchTransaction: 0x170186590>, precipitating-error=Error Domain=BSTransactionError Code=1 "Transaction failed. Child transaction failed: <FBUpdateSceneTransaction: 0x1741b7300> (child transaction)" UserInfo={transaction=<SBApplicationSceneUpdateTransaction: 0x161364380>, precipitating-error=Error Domain=BSTransactionError Code=1 "Transaction failed. no client provider for client with bundleID com.xxxxxxx.mobileapp (scene update failed)" UserInfo={transaction=<FBUpdateSceneTransaction: 0x1741b7300>, error-reason=scene update failed, error-description=no client provider for client with bundleID com.xxxxxxx.mobileapp, NSLocalizedDescription=Transaction failed. no client provider for client with bundleID com.xxxxxxx.mobileapp (scene update failed)}, error-reason=child transaction, error-description=Child transaction failed: <FBUpdateSceneTransact Jan 16 12:34:15 9902472814 SpringBoard(CoreMotion)[57] <Info>: numberOfClients GyroOnly:<private>, 3AxisDynamicGyro:<private>, 6Axis:<private>, 6AxisThrottledGyro:<private>, 9Axis:<private>, 9AxisWithNorthReference:<private>,

App gets installed but doesn’t open. Any leads would be helpful. Thank you.

1 Like

From the error description, it’s not clear whether this is a problem with Expo, Device Farm, or your project. One thing you could try is changing exp/XDE to build your project JS bundle with dev mode off and minify turned on – this is what the production bundle is created with. Looking at the native device logs for errors might also be helpful.

I have updated the post with some relevant logs.

Are you using FBLogin? If so: Did you set up FB login credentials for this usage (explained in docs)

No, we are not using FB login

building the bundle with dev mode off and minify turned on did not help me much.

The above screenshot is when I try to install the .ipa file on actual iPhone using XCode. A quick search on google suggested me that this might be related to certificates. Expo handled the certificates during the build.

The .ipa generated by exp build is signed for the App Store, so you’ll need to use Testflight to install it, not Xcode.

App works fine on TestFlight and on a simulator. I am not able to test the app on AWS Device farm. Does Expo’s binary build support AWS Device Farm runs?

How does device farm install the app on the device? Binaries signed for the App Store can only be installed via the App Store or via Testflight. If device farm is trying to use some other method of installation, it won’t work unless the binary is provisioned differently.

Device farm doesn’t use either App store or Testflight. It expects a .ipa file. Any help on provisioning specifically for device farm?

I think you might be able to accomplish this if you manually create an Ad-Hoc Distribution Profile for your app, then provide that profile to Expo during exp build. The profile would need to include the udids for the devices in your device farm.

Expo’s app builder will take whatever certificates and profiles you want to give it, but we can’t provide much support for issues encountered from those. I recommend just reading around and getting familiar with how Apple codesigning works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.