iOS 15: Cannot launch enterprise signed application

+1 to this from us too. We pay for Expo but haven’t had an answer via support either.

Same question. Do we really, with no warning, have to switch to eas-cli to be able to support iOS 15?

The “Classic builders” does indeed refer to expo build:ios (and of course expo build:android), as opposed to eas build.

1 Like

The easiest thing to do if you are running into this issue is use turtle-cli, which is exactly the same as expo build except it runs on your own machine (and thus can use your own version of Xcode).

I would not rely on us upgrading our expo build machines to Xcode 13.

For docs on moving to Turtle CLI, see here.

I want to mention that we are absolutely aware of how annoying this is for everyone uses expo build to make enterprise-signed iOS apps. It’s unfortunate that Apple has imposed this limitation, and we’re very sorry that we didn’t find out about it before it happened and warned you ahead of time.

1. If anyone has trouble moving to turtle-cli, please create a new forum topic and we’ll help you out there.
  2. I’m happy to refund any EAS Priority subscribers that this has impacted for this last month, just send a note to billing@expo.dev
3 Likes

To add on to the above: EAS Build will be our recommended build system in the future. We’re actually in the middle of writing some docs on why it’s so much better than the Classic build system, which I’ll link here once we’re done, but some notes:

• smaller app size
  • use any react native library
  • way more extendable

So if you have the time, I would recommend moving over to EAS anyways. I’ve walked quite a few people through it and it’s been very easy for most folks, so long as you follow this migration guide

2 Likes

How are the applications that use expo:build, migrating many projects that use expo:build would be a bit of work, in my case I use the free plan and eas is paid?

1 Like

@wkozyra Would you have step-by-step instructions for using eas build --local, I currently use managed flow?
I tested it, but I couldn’t get an error when using eas build --local

it’s much easier for you to use turtle-cli if you are currently using expo build for your app. see instructions here: Building Standalone Apps on Your CI - Expo Documentation

Can you give any details on how you did this?

You guys totally let down the whole community of developers. You can not just push folks to buy a premium Expo account. You were the one who took the responsibility when creating the Expo ecosystem Even official React Native recommends you as the best way how to start with React Native - and now you greedy asses decided to get money for something that was always free? I am done with Expo and I truly hope others will move to the clean React Native or Flutter.

@jaroslav.huss There are several messages in this thread about how you can do it without needing to pay Expo for anything.

1 Like

Hi @jaroslav.huss. I’m sorry you feel the way you express yourself here. I wish we could respond with “it already works”. As you correctly mentioned, we maintain the infrastructure around EAS and the classic build (Turtle v1). This also includes shielding others from breaking their apps to allow some people to build with enterprise signed apps. We have to carefully apply this change in a way everybody’s app works, and that’s why we can’t just upgrade it right away.

That being said, just like @wodin mentioned, there are a few other ways you could build your app right now. And not every option requires you to have a subscription. Here are they:

1. Using EAS to build your app (requires subscription, until the general availability)
  2. Using EAS CLI locally to build your app (does NOT require subscription)
  3. Using Turtle CLI locally to build your app (does NOT require subscription)
  4. Manually resigning the app after building it (does NOT require subscription)

I would also like to ask you to be civil in this community. Accusing us of “letting down the whole community” or calling us “greedy asses” does not help solve this issue. It only makes the people trying to solve these issues, and many more, feel bad — kindness and willingness to help others bring you way further in this community.

As @charliecruzan mentioned, if you support us in solving these issues and have a subscription, we are happy to refund this month if you send a note to billing@expo.dev.

Cheers,
Cedric

8 Likes

Can I just clarify something. When charliecruzan says “I would not rely on us upgrading our expo build machines to Xcode 13.

Does that mean it won’t happen ever, or that you have no idea how long it will take but it is a thing you would intend to do?

We’re still looking into Xcode 13 support for expo build:ios to support it for the next SDK release, SDK 43. The complexity comes from the breaking changes introduced with Xcode 13. We are also looking into supporting Xcode 13 with SDK 42.

So it is an upgrade we intend to make

2 Likes

It’s also possible that we will solve the issue with iOS 15 enterprise builds earlier, but without upgrading xcode

2 Likes

Dear Cedric,

my apologies. I just got scared because of deadlines and since I am fully dependable at this moment on the Expo ecosystem, this rather unpleasant situation really scared me since I have to rebuild all our apps till Sunday.

Once again sorry for raged post - you guys are doing of course amazing job.

Kind regards

1 Like

Let’s consider it water under the bridge :slight_smile: You should be able to still build the right version with the options mentioned in this thread. If that doesn’t work for you, feel free to ask questions (either here or on discord).

I agree this isn’t an ideal state. I hope we have some good news soon, but rest assured, we are working on it.

2 Likes

We just released a new image for our classic iOS builds(but we are still using the same version of Xcode), new enterprise builds created with expo build:ios should now work on iOS 15 devices. I tested that on SDK 42 but older SDK should also work, please report if you still see any issues.

6 Likes

I upgraded to expo 42 and ran expo buidl:ios but I still get the original error that the app isn’t built for this device and needs to be upgraded. Do I have to download a separte sdk for ios 15?