iOS 15: Cannot launch enterprise signed application

we will work on getting xcode 13 ready tomorrow, but we may not ship it until monday. thanks for the patience! we’ll get faster at this in the future when we’re in GA :slight_smile: thanks everyone who shared information about workarounds

1 Like

Current expo version that I’m using is sdk 36. Tried to rebuild with expo build:ios but the issue still exist. This is the only solution? It workable in sdk 36? after done all the step just run expo build:ios to generate the ipa?

After running the steps i wrote above your ipa is good to go and be used. No need to rebuild or anything. I tested running the above steps on an IPA that was built with Expo 39. I can’t comment whether it would work with 36 but you should try and let us know for the benefit of everybody reading this.

@brents any updates regarding this one?

Hi, xcode 13 image is ready, but because of circle ci downtime we were not able to deploy it today. It will deployed tomorrow to prod, we will also release new version of eas-cli (building for xcode 13 won’t work with older eas-cli versions)

2 Likes

xcode13 image is available, to use it set image field in eas.json to macos-big-sur-11.4-xcode-13.0

1 Like

is it possible to build a ipa with xcode 13 without eas? just with expo build: ?

only locally on your machine

• you can use turtle-cli to build apps that are configured for classic build service
  • or you can use eas build --local, you will need to configure app for eas, but local builds do not require to have paid expo account

So if i have to distribute an app for ios 15, the only way is to have premium expo account and make the eas build?

Will you guys be updating expo build to be iOS15 compatible or not? It’s been out over a week now.
Just using eas build or turtle-cli is really not an option for us.

2 Likes

please its a yes/no question

The answer is “No”.

@wkozyra gave two different ways to do it without a premium Expo account in his last message in this thread.

thank you!

I just need something clarified. Is $ expo build:ios no longer expected to work with iOS 15, as documented here?

Yes or no?

If not, that’s a shame because credential management was magical and now, with EAS, it’s a whole different cluster. The community’s going to need a clear tutorial on that asap, because credentials in EAS, as documented, seems extremely hand-wavy.

Edit to clarify: we build enterprise, stand-alone apps.

1 Like

yeah, i would like to know if “expo build:ios” will be supported on the future or not for ios 15, because depending on that me and my team have to decide how to continue building the app

+1 to this from us too. We pay for Expo but haven’t had an answer via support either.

Same question. Do we really, with no warning, have to switch to eas-cli to be able to support iOS 15?

The “Classic builders” does indeed refer to expo build:ios (and of course expo build:android), as opposed to eas build.

1 Like

The easiest thing to do if you are running into this issue is use turtle-cli, which is exactly the same as expo build except it runs on your own machine (and thus can use your own version of Xcode).

I would not rely on us upgrading our expo build machines to Xcode 13.

For docs on moving to Turtle CLI, see here.

I want to mention that we are absolutely aware of how annoying this is for everyone uses expo build to make enterprise-signed iOS apps. It’s unfortunate that Apple has imposed this limitation, and we’re very sorry that we didn’t find out about it before it happened and warned you ahead of time.

1. If anyone has trouble moving to turtle-cli, please create a new forum topic and we’ll help you out there.
  2. I’m happy to refund any EAS Priority subscribers that this has impacted for this last month, just send a note to billing@expo.dev
3 Likes

To add on to the above: EAS Build will be our recommended build system in the future. We’re actually in the middle of writing some docs on why it’s so much better than the Classic build system, which I’ll link here once we’re done, but some notes:

• smaller app size
  • use any react native library
  • way more extendable

So if you have the time, I would recommend moving over to EAS anyways. I’ve walked quite a few people through it and it’s been very easy for most folks, so long as you follow this migration guide

2 Likes