Intermittent network(?) error on :app:bundleDevReleaseExpoAssets step when building detached Android app for release

Since I’ve started regularly testing Android ExpoKit release builds (SDK 28) last Friday, I’ve seen this error about five times (~1/3 of my builds). It stops the build. Restarting it usually works (it did just failed two times in a row before working a third time).

The error:

:app:fabricGenerateResourcesDevRelease
:app:generateDevReleaseResValues
:app:generateDevReleaseResources
:app:mergeDevReleaseResources
:app:bundleDevReleaseExpoAssetsError: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND d1wp6m56sqw74a.cloudfront.net d1wp6m56sqw74a.cloudfront.net:443
    at errnoException (dns.js:55:10)
    at GetAddrInfoReqWrap.onlookup [as oncomplete] (dns.js:97:26)
 FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':app:bundleDevReleaseExpoAssets'.
> Process 'command './android/detach-scripts/run-exp.sh'' finished with non-zero exit value 1

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

BUILD FAILED

Total time: 4 mins 56.666 secs

It seems like perhaps it has issues connecting to the cloudfront server? I haven’t had any other network issues at the same time, and I’ve seen the error while connected to wifi networks in three different locations, so I don’t think it’s my network going out at precisely the wrong time. Just wanted to see if anyone had any insight on this. We’re working on a process that will built multiple ExpoKit white labeled apps at once, so having to occasionally reset the build is a bigger setback for us, hence we’re extra-motivated to avoid it.

Thanks!

Hi @llamaluvr - a few other people have reported the same issue. More information is here: https://github.com/expo/expo/issues/1856#issuecomment-404368578 . Do you by any chance have proxy environment variables set for this process?

Thanks for passing that link along. I don’t have any proxy variables set. This is my personal Mac - we have no corporate VPN or anything like that. I’ve seen the error when connected to at three different networks across two different states, and like the others, I’ve been able to ping the cloudfront address just fine.

@llamaluvr do you have lots of assets bundled in your app?

I think I have 150-200 assets (all images, mostly small PNG’s).

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.