Implementing OneSignal on managed workflow

Hey Guys
We are in need of help with integrating our Expo managed workflow app with OneSignal.
We have gone through the documentation for setting up OneSignal with the config plugin they have created, and everything seems to be working fine when we test on our iOS simulators as they are being registered on the OneSignal dashboard.

The issue comes in when we build the app to test on Testflight. The Testflight devices do not appear on the OneSignal dashboard, and our expo app is hanging on the splash screen.

We are using expo build:ios to create the build for Testflight.

config-plugins only works on EAS Build or with expo prebuild. With expo build:ios there is no way to customize your native code and OneSignall is not included there.

Also, note that classic builds will not support new sdks after sdk 46. expo build’s Final Year. The Classic Build service will support… | by James Ide | Exposition

2 Likes

Hi @lindani540

To elaborate on what wkozyra said, you should build with eas build -p ios --platform production instead of expo build:ios.

See Migrating from "expo build" - Expo Documentation

1 Like

I added onesigmal for my web site but it didn’t work, i don’t know why

Hey @wodin, we were finally able to setup EAS for our and are now able to configure OneSignal. Everything is working fine, and we are able receive notifications. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Great! I’m glad you got it working :slight_smile:

Hey @wodin

We are getting new issues that are regarding eas update.
We are not able to update the app after we have added OneSignal, But when we remove it, the update works just fine.

On Android, the version was able to change upon update, but when opening the app again it returns back to the previous version (but this only happened once).
Please advise.

Hi @lindani540

It sounds like you might have a version of the app on the App/Play Stores that was not compiled with OneSignal (so it is missing the OneSignal native code). Now if you publish an OTA update that tries to call that native code, the app will get an error and probably crash.

See Avoiding crashes with incompatible updates. Also read the rest of that page.

For more details, see Matching updates and builds (and the rest of that page).

The Debugging guide and Deployment patterns might also be useful.

We haven’t published the app on the stores yet, we just wanted to make sure the OTA update works first.

We have created a separate testing channels named dev-ios and dev-android, with their first builds containing OneSignal configurations and SDK 45. when we try to update these first builds using eas update that’s were the issue is (they fail to update, and we are changing nothing but the apps version number)

we created other testing channels named uat-ios and uat-android, with their first build not containing OneSignal configs, and the update feature works fine here.

Is it possible for us schedule a call when ever you are available?

Hey, Lindani. I’m just another Expo user.

If you want a call with the Expo Team I think you can try this:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.