Images not displaying in Android

I’ve inherited a detached project and am troubleshooting images not displaying for our APK releases. iOS does not have this problem.

I can’t reproduce this when developing locally. Not much to go on here so am wondering where I should start looking for misconfigurations on the Android side.

No in-app errors or relevant (to the best of knowledge) logcat stack traces.

SDK 36.0.0

UPDATE: I can now reproduce locally, see this reply.

app.json (obfuscated) below

{
  "expo": {
    "name": "**********",
    "slug": "**********-expo",
    "privacy": "public",
    "sdkVersion": "36.0.0",
    "platforms": ["ios", "android", "web"],
    "version": "1.0.0",
    "orientation": "portrait",
    "icon": "./assets/images/icon.png",
    "splash": {
      "backgroundColor": "#eea609",
      "image": "./assets/images/splash.png",
      "resizeMode": "cover"
    },
    "updates": {
      "fallbackToCacheTimeout": 0
    },
    "assetBundlePatterns": ["**/*", "./assets/fonts/*", "./assets/images/*"],
    "ios": {
      "supportsTablet": true,
      "bundleIdentifier": "**********-react-ios",
      "publishBundlePath": "ios/**********/Supporting/shell-app.bundle",
      "publishManifestPath": "ios/**********/Supporting/shell-app-manifest.json"
    },
    "isDetached": true,
    "detach": {
      "iosExpoViewUrl": "https://s3.amazonaws.com/exp-exponent-view-code/ios-v2.12.4-sdk34.0.0-ee3e7450-9ec2-4836-8c8c-335483e62917.tar.gz",
      "androidExpoViewUrl": "https://s3.amazonaws.com/exp-exponent-view-code/android-v2.12.2-sdk34.0.0-767c7d3b-87b6-4f80-a9af-92ce67e2a49d.tar.gz"
    },
    "scheme": "exp2dacb61efdba400b9be9ca2ffdc3eba8",
    "android": {
      "package": "**********.react.android",
      "publishBundlePath": "android/app/src/main/assets/shell-app.bundle",
      "publishManifestPath": "android/app/src/main/assets/shell-app-manifest.json"
    },
    "description": ""
  }
}

Actually, I can reproduce locally when running w/ expo start --no-dev. Minfied alone is fine.

UPDATE: I’ve isolated this issue to android/app/src/main/assets/shell-app-manifest.json and am able to get a working APK directly installed to a device. Releasing through the Play store now, so not entirely confident just yet.

I’ve yet to pinpoint exactly what in this file is causing the issue (I’m using an older version from our code base) in case anyone can give some hints why it might be responsible or what could go wrong when it is generated.

How did you figure out it has something to do with that file?

Thanks for the reply - an involved diff check across another branch that seemingly didn’t have this issue.

I do want to highlight that I don’t have a lot of confidence here. Just one thread I’ve been pulling that seemed to improve things. I’d hardly call this solved until after I have more time to dig in.

1 Like

To close the loop on this, I’ve scrapped all aspects of Expo from the project and re-integrated from scratch with the latest to get back to Expo managed, then re-ejected. No longer getting tripped up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.