I can't install some expo dependencies

1. SDK Version: 42.0.0
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS)
  3. Install Dependencies Error

I’m learning react native atm, and I found some cool templates, from creative-tim to download and add to my aplication. So I downloaded it and replaced the App folders, but to run properly I need to first download some Expo dependencies, such as masked view, expo-linear-gradient and expo-app-loading.

However when I did the install comands at npm, it appear some kind of ERROR, I’ll copy it down, if anyone could help me I would be VERY grateful!

C:\Users\Victor\Desktop\try>expo install expo-linear-gradient
Installing 1 SDK 42.0.0 compatible native module using npm.
> npm install
npm WARN read-shrinkwrap This version of npm is compatible with lockfileVersion@1, but package-lock.json was generated for lockfileVersion@2. I'll try to do my best with it!
npm WARN deprecated axios0.19.0: Critical security vulnerability fixed in v0.21.1. For more information,
npm WARN deprecated request2.88.2: request has been deprecated, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142
npm WARN deprecated core-js2.6.12: core-js<3.3 is no longer maintained and not recommended for usage due to the number of issues. Because of the V8 engine whims, feature detection in old core-js versions could cause a slowdown up to 100x even if nothing is polyfilled. Please, upgrade your dependencies to the actual version of core-js.
npm WARN deprecated graphql-tools3.0.0: This package has been deprecated and now it only exports makeExecutableSchema.\nAnd it will no longer receive updates.\nWe recommend you to migrate to scoped packages such as graphql-tools/schema, graphql-tools/utils and etc.\n
npm WARN deprecated har-validator5.1.5: this library is no longer supported
npm WARN deprecated request2.88.0: request has been deprecated
npm WARN deprecated querystring0.2.0: The querystring API is considered Legacy. new code should use the URLSearchParams API instead.
npm WARN deprecated joi14.0.4: This version has been deprecated in accordance with the hapi support policy (). Please upgrade to the latest version to get the best features, bug fixes, and security patches. If you are unable to upgrade at this time, paid support is available for older versions ().
npm WARN deprecated uuid3.3.2: Please upgrade  to version 7 or higher.  Older versions may use Math.random() in certain circumstances, which is known to be problematic. 
npm WARN deprecated xmldom0.1.27: Deprecated due to CVE-2021-21366 resolved in 0.5.0
npm WARN deprecated request-promise-native1.0.5: request-promise-native has been deprecated because it extends the now deprecated request package
npm WARN deprecated hapi/joi16.1.8: Switch to 'npm install joi'
npm WARN deprecated hapi/boom7.4.11: This version has been deprecated and is no longer supported or maintained
npm WARN deprecated axios0.17.1: Critical security vulnerability fixed in v0.21.1. For more information
npm WARN deprecated html-webpack-plugin4.0.0-alpha.2: please switch to a stable version
npm WARN deprecated xmldom0.1.31: Deprecated due to CVE-2021-21366 resolved in 0.5.0
npm WARN deprecated uuid3.0.0: Please upgrade  to version 7 or higher.  Older versions may use Math.random() in certain circumstances, which is known to be problematic.
npm WARN deprecated hoek6.1.3: This module has moved and is now available at hapi/hoek. Please update your dependencies as this version is no longer maintained an may contain bugs and security issues.
npm WARN deprecated chokidar2.1.8: Chokidar 2 will break on node v14+. Upgrade to chokidar 3 with 15x less dependencies.
npm WARN deprecated topo3.0.3: This module has moved and is now available at hapi/topo. Please update your dependencies as this version is no longer maintained an may contain bugs and security issues.
npm WARN deprecated uuid2.0.3: Please upgrade  to version 7 or higher.  Older versions may use Math.random() in certain circumstances, which is known to be problematic. 
npm WARN deprecated hapi/formula1.2.0: Moved to 'npm install sideway/formula'npm WARN deprecated hapi/pinpoint1.0.2: Moved to 'npm install sideway/pinpoint'
npm WARN deprecated iltorb2.4.5: The zlib module provides APIs for brotli compression/decompression starting with Node.js v10.16.0, please use it over iltorb
npm WARN deprecated joi11.4.0: This version has been deprecated in accordance with the hapi support policy (hapi.im/support). Please upgrade to the latest version to get the best features, bug fixes, and security patches. If you are unable to upgrade at this time, paid support is available for older versions (hapi.im/commercial).
npm WARN deprecated hoek4.2.1: This version has been deprecated in accordance with the hapi support policy (hapi.im/support). Please upgrade to the latest version to get the best features, bug fixes, and security patches. If you are unable to upgrade at this time, paid support is available for older versions (hapi.im/commercial).
npm WARN deprecated topo2.0.2: This version has been deprecated in accordance with the hapi support policy (hapi.im/support). Please upgrade to the latest version to get the best features, bug fixes, and security patches. If you are unable to upgrade at this time, paid support is available for older versions (hapi.im/commercial).
npm WARN deprecated request-promise-native1.0.9: request-promise-native has been deprecated because it extends the now deprecated request package
npm ERR! code ENOENT
npm ERR! syscall spawn git
npm ERR! path git
npm ERR! errno -4058
npm ERR! enoent Error while executing:
npm ERR! enoent undefined ls-remote -h -t https://github.com/siemiatj/react-native-modal-dropdown.git
npm ERR! enoent
npm ERR! enoent
npm ERR! enoent spawn git ENOENT
npm ERR! enoent This is related to npm not being able to find a file.
npm ERR! enoent

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     C:\Users\Victor\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_logs\2021-09-11T16_55_32_068Z-debug.log

npm exited with non-zero code: 4294963238
Error: npm exited with non-zero code: 4294963238
    at ChildProcess.completionListener (C:\Users\Victor\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\@expo\spawn-async\src\spawnAsync.ts:65:13)
    at Object.onceWrapper (events.js:520:26)
    at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:400:28)
    at ChildProcess.cp.emit (C:\Users\Victor\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\cross-spawn\lib\enoent.js:34:29)
    at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1055:16)
    at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:288:5)
    at Object.spawnAsync [as default] (C:\Users\Victor\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\@expo\spawn-async\src\spawnAsync.ts:26:19)
    at NpmPackageManager._runAsync (C:\Users\Victor\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\@expo\package-manager\src\NodePackageManagers.ts:166:31)
    at NpmPackageManager.addAsync (C:\Users\Victor\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\@expo\package-manager\src\NodePackageManagers.ts:105:18)
    at actionAsync (C:\Users\Victor\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\src\commands\installAsync.ts:122:3)

Hi @v.castro

This looks unrelated to trying to install expo-linear-gradient. Were you able to run npm install with no other arguments before trying to add anything else?

Anyway, the above error is because npm is trying to run git ls-remote ..., but it can’t find the git command. Do you have git installed? If not, try installing it from https://git-scm.com/

After you have git installed and you can run it from the command line, e.g.:

git --version

try running:

npm install

By the way, although there are a lot of npm WARN deprecated ... messages, these are really just noise. Ideally they would not show, but there’s nothing you can do about those.

If you still get errors, post them here.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the quick answer, my first time posting and I didn’t expected anyone answering that fast! I did what you said, now it says a different type of ERROR, I’m not sure if now it’s working I’ll try it later! But thank you again, you are awesome! :slight_smile:

1 Like