How to test reduced Android permissions in dev? (SDK 40)

1. SDK Version: ^40.0.0
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android

I know there are lots of permissions topics around, but I searched hard and couldn’t find this specific one.

I’m trying to reduce my permissions set to the minimum. But I can’t figure out if certain ones are needed, or what the existing ones are used for. I use camera, lowest accuracy location, and notifications (remote only - so I don’t need RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED). Based on the features I use I think I can reduce it in app.json to just ["ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION", "CAMERA"] but I’m not sure how to test this in dev, any ideas?

I use notifications, but I don’t know if I need all the permissions that come default.

I can’t figure out if I use anything that needs the following permissions that are included:

"permissions": [
        "ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION",
        "ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION",
        "READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE",
        "READ_PHONE_STATE",
        "USE_FINGERPRINT",
        "VIBRATE",
        "WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE",
        "com.anddoes.launcher.permission.UPDATE_COUNT",
        "com.android.launcher.permission.INSTALL_SHORTCUT",
        "com.google.android.c2dm.permission.RECEIVE",
        "com.google.android.gms.permission.ACTIVITY_RECOGNITION",
        "com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES",
        "com.htc.launcher.permission.READ_SETTINGS",
        "com.htc.launcher.permission.UPDATE_SHORTCUT",
        "com.majeur.launcher.permission.UPDATE_BADGE",
        "com.sec.android.provider.badge.permission.READ",
        "com.sec.android.provider.badge.permission.WRITE",
        "com.sonyericsson.home.permission.BROADCAST_BADGE",
        "CAMERA"
      ],
  • I know I definitely need “Camera” I added that. So I retain this.
  • For location I don’t use any exact location I don’t think. I use hasServicesEnabledAsync, getLastKnownPositionAsync with no requiredAccuracy (so Im guessing it gives whatever lowest? the default param isn’t so clear in docs or code) and, getCurrentPositionAsync with accuracy: Location.LocationAccuracy.Lowest. This makes me think I can remove ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION and just keep ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
  • I do have notifications that cause vibration but I don’t think I need VIBRATE.
  • I don’t install short cuts so I think I can get rid of com.android.launcher.permission.INSTALL_SHORTCUT and ``
  • I don’t do jogging, sitting, climbing stairs stuff so I’m thinking I can remove com.google.android.gms.permission.ACTIVITY_RECOGNITION
  • I don’t read settings so not sure what uses com.htc.launcher.permission.READ_SETTINGS. or com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES

What I ended up doing was creating a prod APK and then installing it onto my device and making sure all the features I had worked. I left in the com.htc.launcher.permission.READ_SETTINGS and com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES just because they sound important, I’m totally unsure what they are needed for.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.