How can I use ios device to test "bare-expo" app

I am pretty new to apps and expo, but I am trying to see if I can fix an expo-camera issue. I followed the steps from CONTRIBUTING.md, but I can only run the app on a simulator. Since I want to use camera, I need to be able to run it in a physical device. I tried to build it using xcode, but I keep running into a bunch of different errors (code signing, Haste module naming collision, and etc.). How should the workflow be if I want to work on editing expo-camera package?

CONTRIBUTING.md

We recommend that folks interested in contributing to the SDK use the apps/bare-expo project in their SDK development workflow instead of the Expo client. The Expo client itself (in the ios/ and android/ directories) are difficult to setup and require API tokens.

Do I need to set up Expo client that they don’t recommend? I couldn’t find any guide for this though.

Hey @youngeonlee, are you saying you followed the README for the bare-expo app and it’s not building for you? expo/apps/bare-expo at master · expo/expo · GitHub

Cheers,
Adam

Thank you for commenting! Running “yarn ios” already worked, but since I want to use the camera functionality, I needed it to run on my device instead of a simulator.

I think the problem was that I had to run “yarn react-native start” before running the app on xcode. It seems to work for now.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.