GetEnv.NoBoolean Error trying to start project with expo-cli

I’m receiving the following error when trying to run my Expo project using the expo-cli start -c command

C:\Users\regin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\getenv\lib\getenv.js:66
throw new Error(‘GetEnv.NoBoolean: ’ + value + ’ is not a boolean.’);

I’m using the following:
expo-cli 2.6.14
node 10.15.0
WIndows 10 build 17134.472

Trying to run the expo diagnostics command results in the same error.

Uninstalling expo-cli 2.6.14 and installing 2.4.0 lets me start the project successfully.

Trying to run expo diagnostics with 2.4.0 installed results in the following:

Expo CLI 2.4.0 environment info:
    System:
    Binaries:
      Yarn: 1.10.1 - C:\Program Files (x86)\Yarn\bin\yarn.CMD
      npm: 6.4.1 - C:\Program Files\nodejs\npm.CMD

Diagnostics report:
|[19:03:24] Request body larger than maxBodyLength limit
[19:03:24] Error: Request body larger than maxBodyLength limit
    at RedirectableRequest.write (C:\Users\regin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\follow-redirects\index.js:105:24)
    at RedirectableRequest.end (C:\Users\regin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\follow-redirects\index.js:130:10)
    at dispatchHttpRequest (C:\Users\regin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\axios\lib\adapters\http.js:271:11)
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
    at httpAdapter (C:\Users\regin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\axios\lib\adapters\http.js:20:10)
    at dispatchRequest (C:\Users\regin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\axios\lib\core\dispatchRequest.js:59:10)
    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:68:7)

what shell are you using? git bash? powershell?

@notbrent I’m using powershell

@notbrent The issue does not happen when I used the bash shell in Windows Subsystem for Linux

@notbrent The problem also happens when using the cmd shell in Windows. I’d stick with WSL, but the expo client on my device is unable to find the packager if I run expo start -c from the WSL bash shell.

here is the full error. As you can see it says that TRUE is not a boolean

C:\Users\regin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\getenv\lib\getenv.js:66
        throw new Error('GetEnv.NoBoolean: ' + value + ' is not a boolean.');
        ^

Error: GetEnv.NoBoolean: TRUE is not a boolean.
    at Object.boolish (C:\Users\regin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\getenv\lib\getenv.js:66:15)
    at Function.boolish (C:\Users\regin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\node_modules\getenv\lib\getenv.js:79:27)
    at Object.<anonymous> (C:\Users\regin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\expo-cli\bin\expo.js:11:14)
    at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:689:30)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:700:10)
    at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:599:32)
    at tryModuleLoad (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:538:12)
    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:530:3)
    at Function.Module.runMain (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:742:12)
    at startup (internal/bootstrap/node.js:283:19)

Here is the code that is being referenced in getenv.js

boolish: function(value) {
    try {
      return convert.bool(value)
    }
    catch(err) {
      var isBool = (value === '1' || value === '0' || );
      if (!isBool) {
        throw new Error('GetEnv.NoBoolean: ' + value + ' is not a boolean.'); //// Here is line 66
      }

return (value === '1');
    }
  },

That code references the convert.bool function which looks like this

bool: function(value) {
    var isBool = (value === 'true' || value === 'false' || value === 'TRUE' || value === 'FALSE');
    if (!isBool) {
      throw new Error('GetEnv.NoBoolean: ' + value + ' is not a boolean.');
    }

return (value === 'true')
  }

I’m not sure how the error is being caused since convert.bool specifically looks for TRUE as one of the satisfactory values.

This error is keeping me from doing any development since I can’t run the expo-cli. I’d appreciate any help.

@notbrent I figured it out. For some reason the version of getenv.js packaged with expo-cli had

var isBool = (value === 'true' || value === 'false');

instead of

var isBool = (value === 'true' || value === 'false' || value === 'TRUE' || value === 'FALSE');

in the convert.bool function. I’m not sure why the version of getenv in my node_modules directory had the longer line. The code on GitHub has the shorter version.

thanks for the info! can you post your findings to an issue on GitHub - expo/expo-cli: Tools for creating, running, and deploying universal Expo and React Native apps?

Will do.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.