ExpoKit: Splash screen broken on Android

Hi,

The splash screen appears to be broken for Android detached apps.

I’ve just created fresh projects using expo init (both using “Advanced workflow” and a plain Expo project followed by “expo eject”). I didn’t make any changes. Neither of them show a splash screen on Android (just a blank white screen), even though the default app.json contains:

"splash": {
      "image": "./assets/images/splash.png",
      "resizeMode": "contain",
      "backgroundColor": "#ffffff"
    },

Grepping the Android project folder doesn’t find any references to ‘splash.png’.

There is a file android/app/src/main/res/drawable/splash_background.xml that contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<layer-list xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">

<item android:drawable="@color/splashBackground"/>

</layer-list>

Is the splash screen not supposed to work for detached projects? The documentation implies that it does.

SDK version is 32, fresh projects created today.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey @mlight,

Splash Screens should certainly work on ejected Android projects so this looks to be a bug. I’m going to try and do a quick repro to verify.

Cheers,
Adam

I’m seeing the placeholder Splash Screen image as expected in my AS emulator on a freshly init’d/ejected project. Could you try clearing your caches, uninstalling and re-installing the Expo Client on your Emulator?

Hey @adamjnav, thanks for the reply.

I’ve tried clearing the app cache, uninstalling the app (not Expo client, it’s detached) but it still has no splash screen. It’s also the same on a physical Pixel 2.

Should there be some reference to assets/images/splash.png in the android (or ios for that matter) folders? I can’t find any via grep.

Thanks

I have the same issue

1 Like

I also have this issue using sdk version 32 and a first edition google pixel. Any workarounds @mlight?