Expo Video accepted video formats?

I didn’t see this in the Expo documentation but maybe I missed it… what are the accepted video formats for the Expo Video component? MP4 work great, but I tried an AVI and it didn’t want to play. What other formats are supported besides MP4? Thanks!

This is a good question. We don’t have a list of formats but for what it’s worth we use iOS’s AVPlayer and Google’s ExoPlayer. The codecs they support is what Expo should naturally support on each respective platform.

Apple has some documentation on formats they support here: Apple Developer Documentation

• H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
  • H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
  • MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
  • Numerous audio formats, including the ones listed in Audio Technologies