Expo Updates OTA check on cold boot and progress data

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 41
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android/iOS

So, any recommendation of an article that shows a proper way to manage the OTA updates, with testing examples if possible?

I feel the overall UX of the current implementation of the OTA is not very good. The app updates without notifying the user at all, depending on the speed of his connection it might happen after a minute into using the app, so both main issues arise that he may encounter bugs that are already fixed and have the app restart, that for the end-user feels like the app just crashed.

Keypoints I have issue:

• We cannot force test or emulate an app update event in development mode. This is something that I think Expo team could prioritize, so we can start testing better UI/UX solutions for this part of the tech.

• How can I check the progress of the current running update operation? Is there a stream that returns the current value? If it is in the documentation I might have missed it and sorry for that in advance.

• How do I write a test for something that is not emulatable?

• Where is the best place to run the update checker, at the App.js file right in the root of the app tree?

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.