Expo standalone app offline

In my Expo app, I handled cases where the user loses connection. They will get an alert and components will change. It was working in Expo experience but in my standalone app it is not working.

I switched off my network connection and was hit with an error page:

There was a problem loading this experience.
Try Again

https://expo.host:443/@username/appname
Error: The Internet connection appears to be offline.
Error Code: CLIENT_LOADING_ERROR
Status Code: -1009

Are we not able to have offline features in our apps or maybe I am doing something wrong?

Hey @mc10 - your assumption is right, your app should have no trouble from the expo side running offline. Could you post your app.json and a little more information about the steps that are taking you to this error? (e.g. are you getting this on the first run after installing, or have you successfully launched the app before with internet? Are you testing on a device or simulator?)

Hi, thanks for the response! My app.json looks something like this:

{
  "expo": {
    "name": "AppName",
    "description": "App description",
    "slug": "AppName",
    "scheme": "AppName",
    "privacy": "unlisted",
    "sdkVersion": "25.0.0",
    "version": "1.0.11",
    "orientation": "landscape",
    "primaryColor": "#000000",
    "icon": "./assets/Icon-1024.png",
    "splash": {
      "image": "./assets/splash.png",
      "resizeMode": "contain",
      "backgroundColor": "#000000"
    },
    "ios": {
      "supportsTablet": true,
      "isTabletOnly": true,
      "bundleIdentifier": "bundleIdentifier",
      "buildNumber": "1.0.11",
    },
    "assetBundlePatterns": [
      "assets/**",
      "assets/images/**"
    ],
  }
}

I had opened and run the app a few times already. I am running on an iPad device with Wifi capabilities only. The app is currently being deployed through TestFlight. The steps I am following are like so:

1. I open my app from the iOS homescreen
  2. I get to the initial screen which opens WebBrowser for SSO
  3. I pass through authentication and get in to the app
  4. I swipe up and open iOS 11 Control Center and disable Wifi
  5. I go back to the app
  6. I hit the error page

One interesting thing is that I am also detecting connection loss on the initial page before the WebBrowser is launched and it will tell them a network connection is required to sign in. This switch is working here when I turn off the Wifi but switching anywhere else inside the app is not.

Hmm, this sounds like it could be a bug. Could you confirm that you are using the latest version of exp (currently 49.2.2)? If not, try updating that and building again. But if you are, could you provide a minimally reproducible test case and post an issue to Issues · expo/expo · GitHub ?

Sorry for the inconvenience! Hopefully we can get this resolved soon.

After further testing, I believe it may actually just be a bug on my side. Will definitely know after the next build but I think that’s the case. Thanks for your time!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.