Expo SDK 38 after new Apple rules regarding IDFA

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 38
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): all

Hi there, I have a small question regarding Expo + Apple IDFA changes going effective on early next year (more context in this Expo thread).
Right now, our mobile app runs on Expo SDK 38 (which includes some packages, like Segment, that “use” IDFA as default).

Whenever the IDFA changes go effective, does this mean that our app will start to automatically ask tracking permissions to our users? Or is the IDFA going to be all zeroes after this?

Our app doesn’t really use IDFA, but our main concern is users would see this prompt as a terrible UX (and we don’t want that to happen). Assuming this won’t be a problem on SDKs 39 and 40, but just wanted to double check it’s mandatory to update the SDK, in order to avoid this unexpected prompt.
Thanks!

Hey @manumid, we’ve removed IDFA from the modules beginning with SDK39. Please see the changelog for more information.

Cheers,
Adam

Hey Adam, thanks for your reply.
Yes, I know that Expo SDK 39 and 40 don’t contain any code related to IDFA (that’s why I said that we wouldn’t have a problem with them).

But the question goes around how would the Expo SDK 38 behave when these new policies go effective. Should we update our mobile app to the latest SDK, in order to avoid undesired “tracking permission” prompts? (could that happen?)

Thank you.

Hey, @adamjnav!

we’ve removed IDFA from the modules beginning with SDK39.

According to the docs:

Apple will ask you whether your app uses the IDFA: the answer is “yes.”

• is this still relevant? Since IDFA is not included in builds starting SDK39, should we confirm the presence of IDFA when submitting managed builds to the AppStore?

Thank you in advance

Regards,
Ilya

I’m also confused by the documentation here. Currently the documentation page @ipakhomov linked specifies the following:

• Select Device ID
    • Managed standalone apps include the Facebook, Facebook Ads, and Google AdMob SDKs, which still access the IDFA.

So, is the IDFA actually transmitted off the device in an expo project that does not explicitly use Facebook SDK nor Google SDK?

@adamjnav Can you please clarify? The docs make it seem that the answer to if you app is using IDFA is ALWAYS yes. However, your comment above makes it seem that the answer can be no after v39. Also, my understanding is that it can be “no” if you’re using the bare workflow…is that true? Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.