expo-print: Can I connect to printer in Android app (managed workflow)?

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 41
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android
  3. expo-print

Hello!

I am relatively new to expo, and I am trying to create an Android app (managed workflow, standalone app) not for a smartphone but for a POS device (sunmi v2 for now) with an integrated printer. My question now is, is it possible (and if, how?) to connect to that printer to print something with expo-print, or can I only do that with IOS? There is the selectPrinterAsync method where you can define the printer url, but that would only work with IOS.

If that isn’t possible with expo-print, would there be another way for me to do it? I love the managed workflow of expo and would not want (or have the time) to eject.

Thank you very much in advance!

Okay, I got this reply from the expo team (I also asked for advice outside of the forum) almost a week ago, and I only just thought about posting it here, sorry:

“Unfortunately, the managed workflow does not support bluetooth. expo-print does support Android, but you’re correct that the selectPrinterAsync method is iOS only. It looks like you may have to eject for the functionality you want, but your workflow shouldn’t change that much if you use some of the new features we’re previewing now like EAS Build and the expo-dev-client”

So I have to eject to use one of the libraries to print, but that works for me, it’s not as much work as I anticipated.

Thank you to the expo team for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.