expo opt-in-google-play-signing return Error: Package node-pty-prebuilt is required to use PEPK tool

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 37.0.3
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android

after running command “expo opt-in-google-play-signing”
getting error “return Error: Package node-pty-prebuilt is required to use PEPK tool”

here is my “expo diagnostics” command response

Expo CLI 3.21.3 environment info:
System:
Shell: 3.2.57 - /bin/bash
Binaries:
Node: 12.16.2 - /usr/local/bin/node
Yarn: 1.22.4 - /usr/local/bin/yarn
npm: 6.14.4 - /usr/local/bin/npm
Watchman: 4.9.0 - /usr/local/bin/watchman
IDEs:
Android Studio: 3.5 AI-191.8026.42.35.6010548
Xcode: /undefined - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
npmPackages:
expo: ~37.0.3 => 37.0.11
react: ~16.9.0 => 16.9.0
react-dom: ~16.9.0 => 16.9.0
react-native: ~0.61.5 => 0.61.5
react-native-web: ~0.11.7 => 0.11.7
npmGlobalPackages:
expo-cli: 3.21.3

hi @ilearnbydoing did you solve this issue as I’m having exact same problem?

Are you sure you need this command? It’s intended to migrate old apps to new signing method, I’m asking because a lot of people use this command when they already have app signing enabled.

Actual answer:

• Downgrading node to 10 should work
  • you can migrate to app signing without this command just follow google instructions and after it’s enabled replace keystore on expo servers with the new ones.

In the future we will probably remove this command entirely.

Thanks for the reply, I’m rebuilding an app which was last updated before google AppSigning was introduced (2016… ish)

So its definitely not enabled for this app.

Downgrading to node v10.13.0 though did solve the issue and the command was able to run its course.

Unfortunately we don’t have the original upload key (external developer we can’t get it from) so are waiting (hoping) Google will generate a new one for our apps.

Thanks for your help

Get BlueMail for Android

If you don’t have the original Keystore and app signing in not enabled, google can’t help you. They can reset your upload key only if app signing is enabled.

Before app signing was supported there was no concept of upload key, apk had the same signature both when uploading and in store

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.