Expo Not Installing on Ubuntu 17.10

Hello!

This is my first post on this forum, so please let me know if I need to follow a standard, but please cut me some slack. I am attempting to install expo, but ubuntu is not registering it. I was first getting permission errors, so I stumbled across this (https://docs.npmjs.com/getting-started/fixing-npm-permissions) and followed Option Two: Change npm’s Default Directory. Afterwards, I was able to install expo. However, when I try to run

“exp”

, I get

“The program ‘exp’ is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt install alliance”.

I think uninstalling expo and then reinstalling might fix it, but I can’t find any information on uninstalling expo and

“sudo apt remove exp --purge”

returns

“Unable to locate package exp”

however, “npm ls exp” returns

/home/juliom72/Documents
└── exp@49.2.2.

I used npm install exp -g to install expo. Thank you for any feedback.

So you used npm install exp -g to install exp initially? Are other global npm programs working? I would guess you still have an issue with your npm setup. I’m not really sure what this error is about

“The program ‘exp’ is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt install alliance”.

Ignore the message from ‘apt’ for now – it’s talking about an unrelated package. Make sure the place that npm install -g puts binaries is in your $PATH. This is a common Linux procedure, here’s an instance of an article describing it: Properly install and configure Nodejs and npm on Ubuntu | by Vladimir de Turckheim | Medium

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.