Expo Managed app can't get submitted to Apple AppStore due to App Thinning

Classic Builds don’t have an ETA for a fix. There were no known changes on Expo’s side and this appears to be a breaking change with the App Store. We are continuing to investigate to see what we can do.

You mentioned using EAS Build. Did you successfully create a build and submit it to the App Store and still receive the App Thinning error for this specific build?

Trying to get some concrete data here. Has anyone used classic build, switched to EAS build, and was successful in getting the app published through Apple AppStore/TestFlight? Has anyone tried but failed?

We’re not on EAS (yet), but migrating the build pipeline is going to take a bit of work. Alternatively, has anyone tried to build locally with turtle (classic) or with EAS and was successful?

1 Like

I’m having this problem when I expo build:ios and then submit the package through fastlane. The problem started appearing around today (March 10), maybe yesterday, and the project is an app in the Managed Workflow. I have also tried to submit the codebase from last week which worked perfectly, but today I’m getting this error - with the codebase that worked fine last week.

So it very much seems to me that this is not a problem of a specific app, but either:

• Apple changed something on their side, and many Expo apps are affected
  • Expo changed something which leads to these problems
1 Like

My team reverted code base from month ago and we are still receiving this issue, so i can confirm this.

With the expo build problem, i shoud use eas build but I have this problem now. Can someone help me ?

Im pretty sure im not alone regarding this… same issues mentioned on Expo discord.

Im using [eas build -p ios --auto-submit] to build and publish my app, worked perfectly fine untill yesterday (GMT+1)… I’ve also not changed anything in the packages since last release and the issue cannot be reproduces locally. Im able to run development build withouth problem… only issue is the submiting part.

You mentioned using EAS Build. Did you successfully create a build and submit it to the App Store and still receive the App Thinning error for this specific build?

I can add to this… im able to successfully create a build and submit it to App store, however, i get the App Thinning error.

Here is the details for the build:

Build type
EAS
Build ID
2901b3f2-e399-46dd-8f8c-3bd089d8ae90
Project ID
79ab6268-026e-4c23-a5d4-d0e3070ade22

Our status page has been updated with the most recent details for the incident (Expo Status - App Store rejecting Classic Build iOS submissions with an app thinning error for details). A potential workaround is currently being tested. Thank you for your patience.

2 Likes

Update: a workaround that disables bitcode has been deployed to the servers for classic builds (those using expo build ). For those experiencing the same issue with EAS builds, you can try disabling bitcode manually by setting the iosbitcode field in app.json/app.config.js to the string "Debug" (thereby disabling it for Release builds) and kick off a new build.

2 Likes

Built and Submitted with Classic (expo build:ios) and it has been approved and working. Thank you!
SDK Version: 41

1 Like

I was able to upload the app to test-flight successfully with Classic build system: expo build:ios

Expo SDK: v41.0.0
React-Native: 0.63.0

Thank you so much! @kbrandwijk and expo team.

#4253 (comment)

1 Like

The Classic Build service will run until the beginning of next year

@ide This is the first I’ve heard of this. Is there a roadmap for this change?

Hi @cngodles - yes! You can see timeline and details here: expo build’s Final Year. The Classic Build service will support… | by James Ide | Exposition

We’ll be have more reminders throughout 2022.

Last year’s announcement on the blog gives the complete timeline. SDK 46 will be the last SDK version for which we update the classic build service, and the service will continue to run until January 4, 2023. I believe we also have sent out emails to some developers who haven’t migrated yet.

There are still nine months for developers to choose which option to migrate to – namely, running “expo prebuild” and compiling Android and iOS projects locally, using eas build --local, or using the EAS Build cloud service.

Up-to-date versions of Expo CLI also print a message to communicate this:

2 Likes

Success in my recent attempt, the app came 2 times smaller than the failed builds and it was successfully published with expo build:ios.
Thanks to the expo team for their work and quick solution!

2 Likes

Appreciate the team getting a workaround out quickly, but have to ask – is there a timeline for a permanent resolution? I believe Apple is requiring bitcode over time so this will become a blocking issue at some point.