Expo image picker broked - Android

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 46.0.0
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android
  3. Add the appropriate “Tag” based on what Expo library you have a question on.

The expo image picker is not working at all on Android - see expo-image-picker
It just suddenly not working, and even on old APK that I build ! (I make sure expo-updates didn’t install new bundle on this old version)

I check the permissions status for camera and library and the PermissionResponse is returning that the access status : “granted” for both with useMediaLibraryPermissions and useCameraPermissions Hooks but both ImagePicker.launchImageLibraryAsync and ImagePicker.launchCameraAsync are returning empty result {} while it was returning the file path and other information in the past for the same code …
Sometimes, the call of ImagePicker.launchImageLibraryAsync or another inside an asyn function is blocked without executing the remaining code, I put a try/catch but nothing.

I also make sure to try the example in the documentation, try to reinstall all packages by removing nodes_modules, I check if in the apk manifest if all permission has been added, I also try hermes and jsc in case and all this are normal.
I also check old topic on this forum and find this : https://forums.expo.dev/t/imagepicker-not-opening-in-android-production-builds-works-fine-in-expo-client-app/37878 but no luck, and surely outdated.

My application is working on iPhone, on Expo GO but not on Android devices (I also check with another device and same)

Is there any long term solution ? Can I found other truthfully working alternative to this API ? Can I do one by myself because that’s getting very annoying for an application that are destinated to a public and I don’t know what’s wrong with this API.

Hey @julienduvart,

Can you please share a minimal reproducible example so that I can clone and test it on my end? I tried the example mentioned in the docs and it works on my end.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.