Expo client crashing on iOS 13 with SDK v35

Since installing the latest Expo client on iOS 13 and subsequently updating my app to Expo SDK v35, my app crashes quite often. This did not happen on iOS 12 with Expo Client versions. My application would maintain a background connection for some time and eventually time out – but not crash.

I have updated all dependencies with expo upgrade. When my program runs, the screen will lock and when unlocking, I find myself on the home screen instead of in my app.

I’ve even seen the app crash when I’ve simply brought another app to the foreground (without my app having gone to sleep.) Switching back to the Expo client will prompt me to select a project, just as if the Expo client had crashed.

My app doesn’t have to be connected in any way; the Expo client will even crash from the welcome screen of my app. This leads me to believe there may be an issue with the Expo Client itself, but I have no way to debug as I do not have access to a Mac.

Any help would be much appreciated.

This seems to happen with sample Expo applications like with-socket-io as well.

Hey @mhoran, can you specify what version of iOS 13 your device is running?

Cheers,
Adam

Hey Adam,

Sorry for the delay – apparently I don’t get email notifications for this forum. I am running iOS (iPadOS) 13.1.2.

Thanks,
Matt

I ended up building a standalone app and verified that this is not an issue there. So for some reason this only happens with the Expo Client; I saw this happen on both iOS and Android.

For development purposes this is fine; however I do not have regular access to a Mac so it was a bit difficult to get set up. I’m not sure if this is something that could be easily fixed, but it would be great if the Expo Client didn’t crash since the feedback cycle is much quicker there.

I just want to clarify something, is this crash occurring on iPads only? You made mention of iPad OS above so want to make sure we’re on the same page here.

I only have an iPad, so I can’t verify whether the Expo Client crashes on an iPhone. However, in my testing yesterday the Expo Client also seems to crash similarly on the Android simulator. Standalone works just fine on both my iPad and the Android simulator.