Expo-cli crashing on start after upgrade to 3.1.1

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 35
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all):iOS

npm list -g expo-cli
/usr/local/lib
└── expo-cli@3.1.1

Upgraded expo-cli from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 and now expo start keeps crashing. Dropped it back down to 3.1.0 and it’s still crashing. It’s not project-specific. None of them work now. See below for 2 different top-level errors, but same stack trace. Also, there doesn’t appear to be a --verbose flag on the cli.

error Cannot find module 'metro-resolver'. Run CLI with --verbose flag for more details.

Metro Bundler process exited with code 1
Error: Metro Bundler process exited with code 1
    at ChildProcess.packagerProcess.once (/@expo/xdl@56.2.3/src/Project.ts:1804:16)
    at Object.onceWrapper (events.js:286:20)
    at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:198:13)
    at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:248:12)
error Cannot read property 'close' of undefined. Run CLI with --verbose flag for more details.

Metro Bundler process exited with code 1
Error: Metro Bundler process exited with code 1
    at ChildProcess.packagerProcess.once (/@expo/xdl@56.2.3/src/Project.ts:1804:16)
    at Object.onceWrapper (events.js:286:20)
    at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:198:13)
    at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:248:12)

Good day,

I have same issues, After upgrading to 3.1.1 and now 3.1.2

What i noticed is that it passes the IntroScreen, Login and to Dashboard but when an axios call is done. it will crash for Android Version 6 but restart the App for Android greater than 6.

The crash dont show up in Android Emulator just in Expo Client on Device and Apk build.

Please i will like to know which tools to help get detail error causing the crash.

Thanks.

Hi @atplerry.

I think @ppetrick’s issue is different to yours. It sounds like in that case the expo start command itself (as opposed to the app) is crashing.

@ppetrick, does it work if you downgrade to 3.0.10?

@wodin nope. I downgraded and still have the problem. Odder still, it doesn’t happen on every start. If I blow away node_modules and npm install, it usually works the 1st or 2nd time I start expo. But if I stop expo, it crashes again on every restart after that. So I’m stuck constantly blowing away node_modules each day and rerunning npm install (or just keeping expo running once it successfully starts). One final note, each time I npm install, I get a different error, either for a module that won’t load or a property that can’t be read.

I’ve tried yarn, to no avail. I’ve reinstalled the expo-cli, versions 3.1.0 to 3.1.2 - nope. I’ve tried to reinstall node and tried different versions of node (8 and 10). That didn’t work either. Super frustrating.

I’d be grateful for any ideas on where to look for the issue. I have a sneaking suspicion that there’s an issue with my node installation, perhaps some old files linked someplace, but I haven’t the foggiest idea how to figure that out (macOS High Sierra).

I’m afraid I’m not sure what could be wrong, but it seems like maybe it’s not expo, but rather the metro bundler. I don’t know off hand how expo starts metro, or whether it’s possible to get some sort of debugging out of metro. An exit status of 1 is pretty minimally useful :laughing:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.