Expo Build Failed with Expo Updates 0.2.2

I am using the expo bare workflow and was working through building a release configuration of my app. I was running into the issue where the app would crash immediately and through some digging, found it to be because I was not first publishing my app. In that digging, I found this article Over-the-air updates from Expo are now even easier to use! | by Eric Samelson | Exposition. To avoid having to publish before each release, I followed the migration steps at the bottom of the article for upgrading from 0.1.x. I followed the steps and triple-checked to make sure I did them correctly. Now, when trying to build my app for debug or release, I get the error below because I deleted the app.bundle and app.manifest files as instructed.

** BUILD FAILED **

The following build commands failed:
        CpResource /Users/ryan/Documents/Projects/midpoint/mobile/ios/Midpoint/Supporting/app.bundle /Users/ryan/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Midpoint-eugwialvnxpspqhjwhmpnwlbritn/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/Midpoint.app/app.bundle
        CpResource /Users/ryan/Documents/Projects/midpoint/mobile/ios/Midpoint/Supporting/app.manifest /Users/ryan/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Midpoint-eugwialvnxpspqhjwhmpnwlbritn/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/Midpoint.app/app.manifest
(2 failures)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! I can provide more information if needed.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I created a new bare workflow project from scratch and that built fine using the new expo-updates workflow.

Update: I undid the second step in the upgrade guide and as a result kept the blank app.bundle and app.manifest files and that has appeared to work. I don’t know if thats a true fix for this or not.