expo build:android --type app-bundle works, but upload:android fails

Hey there,

It’s great to be able to build App bundles with expo build:android --type app-bundle, but the generated .aab file cannot get uploaded to the play store by expo upload:android.

It fails with the message (using EXPO_DEBUG=true):
Error setting value ‘/tmp/-signed.aab’ for option ‘apk’
Failed to upload the standalone app to the app store.
apk file is not an apk
Error: apk file is not an apk
at _callee2$ (/expo-cli@2.19.5/src/commands/upload/utils.js:54:11)
at tryCatch (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/expo-cli/node_modules/babel-runtime/node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:62:40)
at Generator.invoke [as _invoke] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/expo-cli/node_modules/babel-runtime/node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:296:22)
at Generator.prototype.(anonymous function) [as next] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/expo-cli/node_modules/babel-runtime/node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:114:21)
at step (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/expo-cli/node_modules/babel-runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:17:30)
at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/expo-cli/node_modules/babel-runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:28:13
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/next_tick.js:81:5)

Is there an undocumented option to upload app bundles to the Play Store ?

Thanks,
Jerome

Hi

It’s not implemented yet, thanks for pointing that out.
I added issue here Support app-bundles in upload:android command · Issue #768 · expo/expo-cli · GitHub, should be ready quite soon.

Cool, thanks for the quick reply. I’ve uploaded the aab manually so it’s not a blocker, but it will be very handy once it’s all integrated !

Thanks,
Jerome

It’s added in 2.20.8.

There is one more problem with stack trace you provided, path /tmp/-signed.aab should look sth like /tmp/app-21abc5ae9e83218912981ce1212-signed.aab.
Can you run this command in node?
console.log(path.basename('https://exp-shell-app-assets.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/android/@someuser/app-21abc5ae9e83218912981ce1212-signed.aab'))
This path isn’t breaking anything, but it’s behaviour we didn’t expect. What version of node are you using?

sorry I removed the full app and hash name from the trace I pasted, but it does show up as you would expect.

I’m going to upgrade to 2.20.8 to test it out

Mhhh, I’m running into expo-cli 2.20.10 publish error now…
I will retry later

I just tried with 2.21.1 and it works perfectly.
thanks @wkozyra you made my day !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.