[expo-av] Video display as black screen and audio only when playing .m3u8 from s3 bucket

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 43
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): IOS
  3. expo-av: ~10.1.3

Hi guys,
I’m facing an issue when playing .m3u8 video. We are uploading video on s3 bucket and generate .m3u8 video url, at the time we load video, it’s showing as black screen in player and only audio playing. When I tried with android I didn’t have any problem. Hope someone can help. Thank all!

Hi @thanhthanchuc

Does it work or do you get the same problem if you play the actual video directly instead of the .m3u8?
What is the video codec?

Hi @wodin . I tried with mp4 video and it worked without any problem. Does the video codec affect this issue?

I don’t know. Maybe. But if you answered my questions I might have a chance to try reproduce the problem. At the moment you have not provided enough information.

Hmm. First, thank you for your support. I realized that this problem occurs with all hls videos. I tried another hls video from another public source on the internet but still having that problem. Would you like some source code or a video reproduction so you have a better picture of that?

I also found it seems that many other people have the same problem as me but in “react-native-video” library.

I’m not an expert on video file formats/streaming/codecs etc. But, a .m3u8 file is just a text file containing basically a playlist.

After a quick search it seems HLS is basically a set of 10s videos where each video uses an MPEG-TS container with an H.264 video codec and AAC or MP3 audio codec.

I believe iOS supports all of those format/codecs, so I’m not sure why it would not work for you.

I think if you can create a minimal example app that demonstrates the problem it is probably a good idea to create an issue with all of the details.

1 Like

maybe it’s not optimised as well