Expo audio only plays through phone speaker, even when headphones are connected

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 42.0.0
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): iOS

Hello,

I have implemented audio playback following these docs: Audio - Expo Documentation .

However, the audio playback is always routed to the speaker, not to the connected Bose QC35 headphones or Apple Airpods.

I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to make the audio route properly to headphones when they are connected so my users don’t have to remove their headphones to hear the audio playback.

Here is audio config code along with my comments (interpretation of what the settings mean):

await Audio.setAudioModeAsync({
          playsInSilentModeIOS: true, // if your "silent mode" toggle is flipped, still play audio
          allowsRecordingIOS: false, // don't redirect to earpiece aka where you put your ear on the phone rather than speaker
          staysActiveInBackground: false, // don't keep playing when switching out of app
          interruptionModeIOS: Audio.INTERRUPTION_MODE_IOS_DUCK_OTHERS, // other apps (e.g. spotify) get quieter when playing back audio
        });

After researching, I tried experimenting with allowsRecordingIOS but that just redirected the sound to the earpiece, not headphones, so it was super quiet.

Is there anything I could try?

Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.