Expo 36 React Core no longer includes CameraRoll api

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 36
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): iOS/Android

The RN version in at least Expo SDK 34 & 35 included some breaking issues (iOS) with the CameraRoll library and the RN version in 36 completely removed the library and broke it into a community package that requires linking. The community version seems to have fixes for the previous issues.

There are some limitations with the expo ImagePicker, primarily that users cannot select multiple photos, which is core to our apps functionality.

So I have a few questions around this:

1. Is there any way to get the community CameraRoll package to work with expo
  • If there is no way, is there a way to contribute to the CLI that would allow it to work work (an example of another RN community package that requires linking that has been integrated)
  1. Is the any plans to make the ImagePicker component support multiple images? Anywhere I can contribute?
  2. Has anyone else solved for some of the issues related to the CameraRoll library in the v34 & v36 SDK, primarily issues with iOS images being completely out of order. (I see fixing commits in the community package).

Hey @bokka,

You can use the MediaLibrary module which has more robust functionality to handle your use case. There are a couple methods that you could leverage. Here’s the main one to fetch multiple assets. https://docs.expo.io/versions/v36.0.0/sdk/media-library/#medialibrarygetassetsasyncoptions

Cheers,
Adam

I had actually replaced CameraRoll with MediaLibrary when I upgraded to 34 however I had a lot of issues figuring out how to get this API to return a similar data set as CameraRoll. For example on my Android device it returns images from my Adobe apps, whatsapp and downloads, and I cant even get to the point where I scroll far enough to see imges from my Camera Roll.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.