Error while gathering & validating credentials: undefined

Sorry that it took so long. When I was trying to update exp, it kept giving me errors about how I needed to run with root/Administrator to remove/mkdir. I had to globally uninstall expo for it to work. Here is the error with the newest version:

exp build:ios -c
[exp] Making sure project is set up correctly...
[exp] Your project looks good!
[exp] Checking if current build exists...

[exp] No currently active or previous builds for this project.
[exp] Removed existing credentials
[ { action: 'app_management',
    path: 'C:\\Users\\jaked\\AppData\\Roaming\\npm\\node_modules\\exp\\node_modules\\@expo\\traveling-fastlane-linux\\traveling-fastlane-1.3.1-linux-x86_64\\app_management',
    doesExist: true },
  { action: 'fetch_cert',
    path: 'C:\\Users\\jaked\\AppData\\Roaming\\npm\\node_modules\\exp\\node_modules\\@expo\\traveling-fastlane-linux\\traveling-fastlane-1.3.1-linux-x86_64\\fetch_cert',
  { action: 'fetch_new_provisioning_profile',
    path: 'C:\\Users\\jaked\\AppData\\Roaming\\npm\\node_modules\\exp\\node_modules\\@expo\\traveling-fastlane-linux\\traveling-fastlane-1.3.1-linux-x86_64\\fetch_new_provisioning_profile',
  { action: 'fetch_push_cert',
    path: 'C:\\Users\\jaked\\AppData\\Roaming\\npm\\node_modules\\exp\\node_modules\\@expo\\traveling-fastlane-linux\\traveling-fastlane-1.3.1-linux-x86_64\\fetch_push_cert',
  { action: 'validate_apple_certs',
    path: 'C:\\Users\\jaked\\AppData\\Roaming\\npm\\node_modules\\exp\\node_modules\\@expo\\traveling-fastlane-linux\\traveling-fastlane-1.3.1-linux-x86_64\\validate_apple_certs',
    doesExist: false },
  { action: 'validate_apple_credentials',
    path: 'C:\\Users\\jaked\\AppData\\Roaming\\npm\\node_modules\\exp\\node_modules\\@expo\\traveling-fastlane-linux\\traveling-fastlane-1.3.1-linux-x86_64\\validate_apple_credentials',
  { action: 'validate_apple_push_certs',
    path: 'C:\\Users\\jaked\\AppData\\Roaming\\npm\\node_modules\\exp\\node_modules\\@expo\\traveling-fastlane-linux\\traveling-fastlane-1.3.1-linux-x86_64\\validate_apple_push_certs',
    doesExist: false } ]
[exp] If you get errors about

'Maximum number of certificates generated' or 'duplicate profiles'

then consider going to developer.apple.com and revoking those certs or
the existing provisioning profile for this app

? How would you like to upload your credentials?
 Expo handles all credentials, you can still provide overrides
? Run as enterprise account? No

We need your Apple ID/password to manage certificates and
provisioning profiles from your Apple Developer account.

Note: Expo does not keep your Apple ID or your Apple password.

? What's your Apple ID? email
? Password? *****
[exp] Validating Credentials...
[exp] Running: bash.exe -c PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin /mnt/c/Users/jaked/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/exp/node_modules/@expo/traveling-fastlane-linux/traveling-fastlane-1.3.1-linux-x86_64/validate_apple_credentials email password
[exp] Error while gathering & validating credentials
[exp] {"result":"failure","reason":"Could not understand JSON reply from Ruby based local auth scripts","rawDump":""}
[exp] undefined
[exp] undefined

Unfourtunately, same error. :disappointed: Also, tried it on a normal version Windows 10 machine and got the same error above.

@edgar Considering it did the same thing on the other machine, maybe it could be something wrong with my apps files? That’s just my guess.

@edgar Here is running the build with the new 49.2.1:

exp build:ios
[exp] Making sure project is set up correctly...
[exp] Your project looks good!
[exp] Checking if current build exists...

[exp] No currently active or previous builds for this project.
[exp] If you get errors about

'Maximum number of certificates generated' or 'duplicate profiles'

then consider using the flags --revoke-apple-dist-certs, --revoke-apple-push-certs,
and --revoke-apple-provisioning-profile or go to developer.apple.com
and revoke those credentials manually

? How would you like to upload your credentials?
 Expo handles all credentials, you can still provide overrides

We need your Apple ID/password to manage certificates and
provisioning profiles from your Apple Developer account.

Note: Expo does not keep your Apple ID or your Apple password.

? What's your Apple ID? Email
? Password? ********************
[exp] Validating Credentials...
[exp] Running: bash.exe -c PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin /mnt/c/Users/jaked/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/exp/node_modules/@expo/traveling-fastlane-linux/traveling-fastlane-1.4.3-linux-x86_64/validate_apple_credentials Email Password
[exp] Error while gathering & validating credentials
[exp] {"result":"failure","reason":"Could not understand JSON reply from Ruby based local auth scripts","rawDump":""}
[exp] undefined
[exp] undefined

This is with EXPO_DEBUG=true by the way.

@verseboxceo Thanks. I think I might have found a potential quoting issue on WSL.

@edgar Got my fingers crossed that that’s the issue. Thanks so much for your help. You’re the best! :smile:

1 Like

@verseboxceo Can you try with latest exp?

It worked! @edgar I cannot tell you how grateful I am. You are THE BEST! Hopefully, this helps other people out that might have been getting this same error. Thank you so much!

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for your patience through all this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.