error on expo build - keeps referencing old or not found app.json item

I have an issue where I’m developing a React Native 4.x version (using 0.59.8) in the build with Expo 34.0.x. I had recently had things working periodically though build changes, but recently I suddenly get the same error after starting expo with npm start. And that is after I scan the QR code (using Android - Galaxy S9) the Expo start screen tries to load about 4 times, prints running app on SM-Gxxx about 4 times and errors. The view log always now shows at the bottom - Uncaught error: can’t find variable StyleSheet (which is there in nearly all the builds I’ve done) and at the top Uncaught Error: Application main has not been registered. It keeps giving reference to a slug I cannot find in any of the app.json files. I was advised to delete all of the node mods and then run expo doctor to which I did, and I still get the error and expo doctor cmd said no issues found.
Can anyone shed light on to this for me please? If you’re encountering similar errors?
Thanks!

Not sure if it’s the same thing, but I once had weird errors where something was being cached somewhere. In the end, the only way I was able to get rid of it was to clear the cache/data on the Expo (now Expo Go) app on my phone.

I was thinking I was going to try that and other than signing out, and clearing recent projects, I don’t really see that option in my Expo app. How do I do it or where do I find it? I have client ver 2.15.4, FWIW. Ok, I found it in the app mgr of the phone. Let me try that.
Thanks

Ok, thank you, wodin, that worked, sir! I then got an error regarding the createStack Navigator and that it needed react-navigation-stack. So I installed that and now get another error.
Unable to resolve “react-native-safe-area-context” from “node_modules\react-navigation-stack\lib\module\vendor\views\Stack\StackView.js”
Failed building JavaScript bundle.

2 Likes

What version of react-navigation are you using?

I am using “^3.13.0”. Wodin’s suggestion helped with that error. I’m getting a different error now, though the initial build and screen (ProdOverviewScrn) loads.
I am getting again an error of Invariant Violation: Invariant Violation: Element type is invalid: expected a string (for built-in components) or a class/function (for composite components) but got: undefined when clicking one of two buttons, which I’m working on trying to resolve.