Error: Could not set unknown property 'debuggableVariants' for extension 'react' of type com.facebook.react.ReactExtension.

I am trying to build for Android. Everything seems to be working up until the run gradlew step.

Using: eas-cli/3.12.1 darwin-x64 node-v16.16.0

I was using the command eas build --platform android --profile development with this eas.json
{
“build”: {
“development”: {
“developmentClient”: true,
“distribution”: “internal”
},
“preview”: {
“distribution”: “internal”
},
“production”: {}
}
}

The info I got from the run gradlew step is as follows:

Running 'gradlew :app:assembleDebug' in /home/expo/workingdir/build/apps/expo/android

Downloading https://services.gradle.org/distributions/gradle-7.5.1-all.zip

10%

20%.

30%.

40%.

50%.

60%.

70%.

80%.

90%.

100%

Welcome to Gradle 7.5.1!

Here are the highlights of this release:

- Support for Java 18

- Support for building with Groovy 4

- Much more responsive continuous builds

- Improved diagnostics for dependency resolution

For more details see https://docs.gradle.org/7.5.1/release-notes.html

To honour the JVM settings for this build a single-use Daemon process will be forked. See https://docs.gradle.org/7.5.1/userguide/gradle_daemon.html#sec:disabling_the_daemon.

Daemon will be stopped at the end of the build

22[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "@acme/api" package.

23[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "@acme/tailwind-config" package.

24[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "@shopify/flash-list" package.

25[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "@tanstack/react-query" package.

26[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "@trpc/client" package.

27[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "@trpc/react-query" package.

28[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "@trpc/server" package.

29[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "expo-dev-client" package.

30[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "expo-random" package.

31[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "expo-secure-store" package.

32[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "expo-status-bar" package.

33[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "nativewind" package.

34[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "react" package.

35[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "react-dom" package.

36[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "react-native-safe-area-context" package.

37[stderr]

⚠️  Cannot resolve the path to "react-native-web" package.

> Task :react-native-gradle-plugin:pluginDescriptors

> Task :react-native-gradle-plugin:processResources

> Task :react-native-gradle-plugin:compileKotlin

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/ReactExtension.kt: (10, 37): 'BaseVariant' is deprecated. Deprecated in Java

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/ReactExtension.kt: (119, 30): 'BaseVariant' is deprecated. Deprecated in Java

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/ReactExtension.kt: (135, 26): 'BaseVariant' is deprecated. Deprecated in Java

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/ReactExtension.kt: (157, 32): 'BaseVariant' is deprecated. Deprecated in Java

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/ReactExtension.kt: (163, 31): 'BaseVariant' is deprecated. Deprecated in Java

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/ReactExtension.kt: (171, 36): 'BaseVariant' is deprecated. Deprecated in Java

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/ReactPlugin.kt: (114, 48): 'reactRoot: DirectoryProperty' is deprecated. reactRoot was confusing and has been replace with root to point to your root project and reactNativeDir to point to the folder of the react-native NPM package

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/TaskConfiguration.kt: (10, 37): 'ApplicationVariant' is deprecated. Deprecated in Java

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/TaskConfiguration.kt: (11, 37): 'BaseVariant' is deprecated. Deprecated in Java

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/TaskConfiguration.kt: (12, 37): 'LibraryVariant' is deprecated. Deprecated in Java

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/TaskConfiguration.kt: (27, 51): 'BaseVariant' is deprecated. Deprecated in Java

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/TaskConfiguration.kt: (130, 12): 'ApplicationVariant' is deprecated. Deprecated in Java

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/TaskConfiguration.kt: (131, 12): 'LibraryVariant' is deprecated. Deprecated in Java

w: /home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-gradle-plugin/src/main/kotlin/com/facebook/react/TaskConfiguration.kt: (251, 14): 'BaseVariant' is deprecated. Deprecated in Java

> Task :react-native-gradle-plugin:compileJava NO-SOURCE

> Task :react-native-gradle-plugin:classes

> Task :react-native-gradle-plugin:inspectClassesForKotlinIC

> Task :react-native-gradle-plugin:jar

59[stderr]

FAILURE: Build completed with 2 failures.

60[stderr]

1: Task failed with an exception.

61[stderr]

-----------

62[stderr]

* Where:

63[stderr]

Build file '/home/expo/workingdir/build/apps/expo/android/app/build.gradle' line: 24

64[stderr]

* What went wrong:

65[stderr]

A problem occurred evaluating project ':app'.

66[stderr]

> Could not set unknown property 'debuggableVariants' for extension 'react' of type com.facebook.react.ReactExtension.

67[stderr]

* Try:

68[stderr]

> Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace.

69[stderr]

> Run with --info

70[stderr]

or --debug

71[stderr]

option to get more log output.

72[stderr]

> Run with --scan to get full insights.

73[stderr]

==============================================================================

74[stderr]

2: Task failed with an exception.

75[stderr]

-----------

76[stderr]

* What went wrong:

77[stderr]

A problem occurred configuring project ':app'.

78[stderr]

> compileSdkVersion is not specified. Please add it to build.gradle

79[stderr]

* Try:

80[stderr]

>

81[stderr]

Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace.

82[stderr]

> Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

83[stderr]

> Run with --scan to get full insights.

84[stderr]

==============================================================================

85[stderr]

* Get more help at

86[stderr]

https://help.gradle.org

87[stderr]

BUILD FAILED in 1m 26s

5 actionable tasks: 5 executed

Error: Gradle build failed with unknown error. See logs for the "Run gradlew" phase for more information.

The main errors being:

1. Could not set unknown property ‘debuggableVariants’ for extension ‘react’ of type com.facebook.react.ReactExtension.
  2. compileSdkVersion is not specified. Please add it to build.gradle

Any idea why these errors are occuring?

Thanks very much
Jay

I got same error on SDK 47.

Suggest build locally to find issues. EAS Update with a local build - Expo Documentation. For me I originally created new app expo latest… and failed when deploy. worked in expo. Than i restated and build a new app with expo 47. Actually documentation is poor… it does not outline the mandatory fields in config files. But I missed this step…as I expected not to build locally. And had to also install Android Studio…etc. Sorry not much help…but its frustrating…when you develop all along and find it cannot build. I still cannot build…getting error Deprecated Gradle features were used in this build, making it incompatible with Gradle 8.0.

hi there!

i responded to a related issue about this: Error: Could not set unknown property 'debuggableVariants' for extension 'react' of type com.facebook.react.ReactExtension. · Issue #1844 · expo/eas-cli · GitHub

it looks like y’all might be using a config plugin (possibly from a library like marketingcloudsdk) which is breaking your build, possibly due to incompatibility with the sdk version you are using. more guidance on how to troubleshoot here: Troubleshooting build errors and crashes - Expo Documentation

if you’re not sure where to start and this error message means nothing to you, then i’d start with removing third party sdks and config plugins, run npx expo prebuild -p android --clean, verify that the build works, then add back sdks and config plugins until you find the root cause.