Error? :: Android app builds successfully, launches, immediately closes and kicks over to home screen

Hello all!

My app currently builds and starts the iOS version without issue. However, when I try to do the same with Android, the build will happen successfully, the app will launch, and then it immediately kicks over to the Home screen. If I try to re-open the app, the same thing happens.

I have tried deleting the Virtual Device in Android Studio and provisioning a new one, but it is the same result. I am getting a ton of log output with adb logcat, so it is hard to know what I should be looking for in there in terms of errors / issues.

What information can I provide to help debug this issue?

Thanks!

Hey @shanejeffery54, I would recommend going through our debugging docs to help guide you with some actionable steps to take next. In this case, can you elaborate on what you mean by “Home” screen?

Cheers,
Adam

Hello @adamjnav.

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I have been through the debug options and given that the app doesn’t even start on Android, it is hard for me to get any data out of the debugger or dev tools. The only thing that is giving me any kind of information is the adb logcat, but it is almost too much information.

Here is a video of the app trying to load up on the Android emulator and then immediately getting kicked over to the Home screen. Sometimes it will show the modal that lets me know this is my first time starting expo on this device, but after a second, it goes to the Home screen as well.

Screen Recording 2021-11-29 at 9.34.12 AM – Let me know if you can’t view it for any reason.

Thanks!