EAS Update not updating

I get no errors in both eas build and eas update, but my app never updates. I see my builds, channels and updates in the dashboard, but it seems they are not being pulled by the app.

Managed Workflow
eas-cli/0.52.0 win32-x64 node-v16.15.0

Im migrating from SDK 43 to 45, and also migrating from classic build to eas, ive followed the update guide.
I’ve also reworked the envs, was using manifest.extra, now using only JS by checking releaseChannel.

Im also trying to deploy a development build using the dev-client on profile “development”, but when i install the app I only get production channel. On my dashboard no development channel appears although the build clearly states releaseChannel and profile “development”.

Another thing that I dont understand is why my " Deployments" dashboard is completely empty.

eas.json

{
  "cli": {
    "version": ">= 0.52.0"
  },
  "build": {
    "base": {
      "distribution": "internal",
      "node": "16.15.0",
      "android": {
        "buildType": "apk"
      }
    },
    "development": {
      "extends": "base",
      "developmentClient": true,
      "releaseChannel": "development"
    },
    "production": {
      "extends": "base",
      "releaseChannel": "production"
    }
  },
  "submit": {
    "production": {}
  }
}

app.json (removed sensitive data)

{
  "expo": {
    "name": "****",
    "slug": "****",
    "version": "1.0.4",
    "runtimeVersion": {
      "policy": "sdkVersion"
    },
    "owner": "****",
    "orientation": "portrait",
    "splash": {
      "image": "./assets/my_asset.png",
      "resizeMode": "contain",
      "backgroundColor": "#ffffff"
    },
    "updates": {
      "enabled": true,
      "fallbackToCacheTimeout": 300000,
      "checkAutomatically": "ON_LOAD",
      "url": "https://u.expo.dev/*****"
    },  
    "assetBundlePatterns": ["**/*"],
    "platforms": ["android"],
    "android": {
      "package": "com.***.***",
      "versionCode": 1,
      "icon": "./assets/my_asset.png",
      "adaptiveIcon": {
        "foregroundImage": "./assets/my_asset.png",
        "backgroundColor": "#FFFFFF"
      }
    },
    "androidStatusBar": {
      "hidden": false,
      "barStyle": "light-content",
      "backgroundColor": "#28519E",
      "translucent": false
    },
    "plugins": [
      "expo-av"
    ]
  }
}

If you are using EAS Update, you want to migrate the releaseChannel properties in your eas.json build profiles to channel. This config change is described in the EAS Update getting started guide and the migration guide:

Getting started - Expo Documentation point 4
Migrating from Classic Updates to EAS Update - Expo Documentation point 5

After you’ve made that change, you will need to create a new build before your app will be able to receive OTA Updates.

We realize that this configuration change is easily overlooked, and we’re in the process of making sure that our tooling warns you about this as well when kicking off a build.

3 Likes

Thank you, that was it!
Im still having trouble working out the envs, but I think I can figure it out.

I would highly recommend to update the docs at https://docs.expo.dev/build-reference/variables/#can-i-share-environment-variables-defined-in. I took the example from there to check out the env config, but the eas.json example shows build.production.releaseChannel instead of build.production.channel .

Great to hear that solved the issue.

I understand the confusion with the snippet your shared, but because EAS Update is still in feature preview, the main docs are not updated yet to reflect these changes, otherwise it would break for all people still using Classic Updates…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.