EAS Submit Naming Android Release With The Version Previous

When submitting our app to the Play Store, in the Google Play Console, the release shows up as the version number (display) of our previous release. It is unclear as to why this happens, as when inspected the version code (which we calculate from the display version) is correct.

Is this possibly a race condition or caching bug where somehow the old app version is present in some capacity? To give extra context, this happens through a CI release script that is triggered when we merge in a change to package.json which feeds the version number in our app.config.ts.

Can you link a build that was affected, and what versions you were expecting there?

the release shows up as the version number (display) of our previous release

Can you clarify what version are you talking about? Is the problem with version or android.versionCode/ios.buildNumber?

package.json which feeds the version number in our app.config.ts .

Are you saying that you are reading package.json inside app.config.ts? I’m assuming you are talking about a managed project, for bare projects values in app.json are ignored.

Can you link a build that was affected, and what versions you were expecting there?

Builds are absolutely fine, it’s just the submission process.

Can you clarify what version are you talking about? Is the problem with version or android.versionCode/ios.buildNumber ?

Neither, really. It’s just the name of the release on the Google Play Console (will explain more at the end).

Are you saying that you are reading package.json inside app.config.ts?

Yes. Similar to below (but obviously with more values):

import type { ExpoConfig } from '@expo/config-types';
import { version } from './package.json';
const config: ExpoConfig = {
  version,
}

I’m assuming you are talking about a managed project, for bare projects values in app.json are ignored.

Can you elaborate on that? I’m kind of confused as to what you mean.

Clarification

Here is an example:

• We released v1.2.0 a bit ago
  • More recently we released v1.2.1
  • The Android store build ran, the version 1.2.1 was shown in the logs for both package.json and app.config.ts, and the correct version code was in app.config.ts
  • The app then got sent to the Google Play Console
  • In Google Play Console, under Releases, there is a release named “1.2.0”. But inside that release there is the 1.2.1 app bundle. The release name is just for the purposes of the Google Play Console and is separate from the build (which is, as I mentioned, good and without issue).

The release can be renamed easily, but it’s unclear to me as to why the release ends up getting the old name.

If there were a way to name releases as this person is wanting, that would be nice.