eas build > submit error. "You've already submitted this version of the app." irregardless of the build number

I just subscribed to EAS so that I could easily build my bare-workflow expo app. First, I used eas build to build my app, followed by eas submit. I was successfully able to submit my app and get a version on test flight.

The problem came when I tried to submit another build to the app store.

You've already submitted this version of the app. Versions are identified by Build Numbers (expo.ios.buildNumber in app.json). If you're submitting an Expo project built with EAS Build, increment the build number in app.json and build the project again.

I had bumped my app.json ios.buildNumber but it wasn’t recognized on subsequent builds. My first build was 1.0.0, and here’s what I tried:

"ios": {
  "buildNumber": "1.0.1",
  "supportsTablet": true,
  "bundleIdentifier": "com.pakaplace.reddit-alerts"
},

"ios": { "buildNumber": "2", "supportsTablet": true, "bundleIdentifier": "com.pakaplace.reddit-alerts" },

Same error each time I rebuilt via eas build and submitted. How can I properly resubmit new versions so that I can test on test flight before submitting to the app store.

when you have a bare app you need to bump the version in their appropriate locations in the native projects, not in app.json. we’re working on adding automatic version bumping of native projects so people don’t need to think about this at all, but it’s not ready quite yet. until then, just open xcode and update your version number then build.

1 Like

Thank you notbrent.

Makes sense, I’ll try that out. The eas error message with its instructions to change the build number at expo.ios.buildNumber was what led me down the wrong path. I’m new to Xcode, iOS.

thanks! i’ll double check that

Sorry to bother you but my app (bare workflow), which works on my emulator and on a physical device with react-native run-ios, is crashing in test flight when built with eas build. Are there other similar XCode gotchas I should do before running eas build? I read that the scheme had to be changed to “release” not “debug”, so I’ve just tried that.

My app loads in test flight but upon sign-in it crashes. It’s not doing this on the simulator, and I’m having trouble locating helpful logs to get a root cause. Below is my expo diagnostics

Expo CLI 4.1.3 environment info:
    System:
      Shell: 5.8 - /bin/zsh
    Binaries:
      Node: 14.7.0 - /usr/local/bin/node
      Yarn: 1.22.4 - /usr/local/bin/yarn
      npm: 6.14.7 - /usr/local/bin/npm
      Watchman: 4.9.0 - /usr/local/bin/watchman
    Managers:
      CocoaPods: 1.10.1 - /usr/local/bin/pod
    SDKs:
      iOS SDK:
        Platforms: iOS 14.4, DriverKit 20.2, macOS 11.1, tvOS 14.3, watchOS 7.2
    IDEs:
      Android Studio: 4.1 AI-201.8743.12.41.7042882
      Xcode: 12.4/12D4e - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
    npmPackages:
      @expo/webpack-config: ^0.12.52 => 0.12.58 
      expo: ~40.0.0 => 40.0.1 
      react: 16.13.1 => 16.13.1 
      react-dom: 16.13.1 => 16.13.1 
      react-native: ~0.63.4 => 0.63.4 
      react-native-web: ~0.13.12 => 0.13.18 
    npmGlobalPackages:
      expo-cli: 4.1.3
    Expo Workflow: bare

I have this issue, and I don’t have a bare app, what can I do?

you should look into your crashes in the xcode crash organizer or a tool like sentry. eas build doesn’t have anything to do with crashes of your app while it’s running, it just builds it

Thanks @notbrent . I understand these are probably routine, annoying questions for someone experienced in react native.

If my app is building fine in Test Code but crashing in EAS/Testlane, would Sentry or XCode organizer still be a good tool to diagnose the crash?

If my app is building fine in Test Code but crashing in EAS/Testlane, would Sentry or XCode organizer still be a good tool to diagnose the crash?

try doing a release build in xcode locally (change scheme build configuration to release from debug). if you can’t reproduce the crash there, then yes those would be good places to look.

I am having the same issue as the original poster, new subscriber to EAS first deployment worked without any issue. I have then installed standard-version & standard-version-expo to manage the version incrementing before builds. The version increases work fine:

âžś app git:(master) âś— yarn standard-version --release-as minor
yarn run v1.22.10
$ ~/app/node_modules/.bin/standard-version --release-as minor
:heavy_check_mark: bumping version in package.json from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0
:heavy_check_mark: bumping version in app.json from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0
:heavy_check_mark: bumping version in app.json from 410010001 to 1.1.0
:heavy_check_mark: bumping version in app.json from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0
:heavy_check_mark: outputting changes to CHANGELOG.md
:heavy_check_mark: committing app.json and package.json and CHANGELOG.md
:heavy_check_mark: tagging release v1.1.0
:information_source: Run git push --follow-tags origin master to publish
:sparkles: Done in 1.28s.

Unfortunately regardless of the version number i use I am always getting the same error as can be seen below. I using an expo project that has fully managed build.

:heavy_check_mark: Scheduling submission
:heavy_multiplication_x: Something went wrong when submitting your app to Apple App Store.
You’ve already submitted this version of the app.
Versions are identified by Build Numbers (expo.ios.buildNumber in app.json).
If you’re submitting an Expo project built with EAS Build, increment the build number in app.json and build the project again. Learn more…

Since I dont need to use any native code, i would rather not eject so i can manually increment numbers via xcode so direction/support appreciated.

are you doing a new build after running yarn standard-version? look at the build details page to see what version is used. also share a link to your build details page here if you are still having issues.

i can assure you that eas build works as expected here - it will build the binary using the versions that you provide in app.json at the time of building.

well i can see the app.json getting updated and the build happening successfully but for some reason when upload to the appstore it is constantly rejecting regardless of the version/buildnumber

did you check your build details page to confirm that the version is set to what you expect there?

i just looked at your builds list and noticed that you have a mix of builds from eas build and expo build. please note that eas submit only reads by default from eas build and you need to follow these instructions to submit apps created from expo build

hmm will check that, my command for build upload generally is with the following oneliner:

EXPO_APPLE_APP_SPECIFIC_PASSWORD=password
yarn standard-version --release-as minor &&
expo build:ios --apple-id xxx@xxxx -t archive --team-id xxxx &&
eas submit -p ios --latest --asc-app-id xxxx --apple-id xxx@xxxx

will look at the builds now again

1 Like

thank you i was mixing up expo build and eas build, I did not realise they were different.

before i shared the artificat link in the first build therefore had no problem but because i was using latest build flag which now presume now that retrieves the last eas build as appose to expo build, it would always get the last build which is an older version number

thank you for the support. this is now resolved for me.

1 Like