EAS Build & Release Channel

Hi,

We started to use EAS Build feature one week ago.

We just noticed 2 weird things :

Here our eas.json config file :

{
  "build": {
    "development": {
      "developmentClient": true,
      "distribution": "internal"
    },
    "simulator": {
      "ios": {
        "simulator": true
      },
      "android": {
      	"buildType": "apk"
      }
    },
    "production": {
    		"releaseChannel": "prod-v3.4.1"
    	},
    		"releaseChannel": "prod-v3.4.1"
    	}
    }
  },
  "submit": {
    "production": {
    		"serviceAccountKeyPath": "./google-service-account-api-key.json"
    	},
        "appleId": "XXXXXXX@XXXXXXX.com",
        "ascAppId": "XXXXXXX",
        "appleTeamId": "XXXXXXX"
      }
    }
  }
}

We read the documentation again and again but can’t find what the issue (if there’s an issue :innocent:)

Thanks for your help and have a good day,

All the release channels we used when using EAS Build are not present in the dropdown filter list when we are on the expo builds page

could you link us to the builds page for this? we just rolled out this new filter feature and so there may be some rough edges

edit: i followed up on this and the reason that you are seeing this is that we only show release channels that have published updates. this isn’t particularly intuitive, i’m following up with the team on that

• We used to send the Expo Go preview feature to our teammates when we release a new build of the app. It worked perfectly before (with classic expo build) but now, when they are scanning the QR code or pasting the URL, expo go is launching an error and it’s not possible to access the project.

are you using runtimeVersion in your app?

Hi @notbrent

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

A little update before answering : I just expo publish my app using the associated releaseChannel (prod-v3.4.1) and the two issues are now gone. It seems that when using an EAS Build without publishing afterwards :

• You don’t see the releaseChannel used in this build in the dropdown : Log In — Expo
  • You are able to access the Expo Go preview feature even if the releaseChannel has not been published (which is not very intuitive because you will land on an error page when scanning the QR code) : Expo

You will notice that, in our case, the releaseChannel prod-v3.4.1 is now visible on the filtered dropdown because I just published it.
And to answer you, we are not using runtimeVersion (and never heard of :smiley: ). What’s the purpose of this ?

Thanks for the insight,

1 Like

runtimeVersion makes it possible to move away from a release channel name like prod-v3.4.1 and instead have your release channel be prod and runtimeVersion v3.4.1: Runtime Versions - Expo Documentation

however, one tradeoff to be aware of at the moment is that if you publish an update with a runtimeVersion set, it will not load in expo go; you will need to use expo-dev-client instead.

1 Like