EAS Build Release Channel Error

Hello,

Could I clarify how eas build iteracts with ota updates

I have an app available with installed users on the App Store.

I ran a new build yesterday with some changes on the production release channel. My intention was to test this build on TestFlight before releasing it the App Store. As it turned out, there are some issues with this new build so I don’t want to release it to the App Store.

I was surprised to discover that some of my users now have the latest update on the app on their phone. I can see that the app installed on their phone reports to be the expected version (the version available on the App Store), yet the app which they are interacting with is definitely the latest build which should not be available on the App Store.

My initial explanation for this was that an update had been published to the release channel when eas build ran (even though I was under the understanding that this did not happen). I then tried to run another build with the old version of the code in the hope of overwriting the incorrect version but this does not seem to have changed anything and when performing a fresh install from the App Store of the old version, I am still getting the new version.

Are you able to confirm whether running eas build triggers an OTA update? If not, can you give insights into what is happening here and how I can rectify the problem?

Thanks

Running EAS Build does not trigger an OTA update (but running expo build does)

So you’re submitting a brand new IPA to the App Store, it is approved, and you release it to the store, and yet you’re still getting the old version of the app from the store after doing those steps? How are you determining it’s the old IPA?

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

I think I’ve now better understood what’s going on and it turns out there isn’t the problem I thought there was so sorry for not testing more thoroughly.

I had this problem reported to me by my client, who also has TestFlight installed. They had received the newest update from TestFlight and then subsequently installed the app App Store version. When the opened the app from the App Store it was clear it was the new version from TestFlight because of the features visible in-app. When I tried to investigate what was happening, I in effect followed the same steps starting with the update on my phone and then installing from TestFlight.

I believe what must be happening is that the version from TestFlight stored the bundle it came with which was then used by the App Store version when it first started. Would this make sense?

I believe what must be happening is that the version from TestFlight stored the bundle it came with which was then used by the App Store version when it first started. Would this make sense?

No, the new IPA should launch with the JS bundle that was shipped with it at build-time, but we’ve actually had another report of this and are looking into it: Old Bundle still cached after installing new binary pointing to new release channel - #2 by ritvick

That sounds like the same problem. I haven’t tried this on Android however.

We have verified this on Android as well as on IOS, the problem existed when we posted Old Bundle still cached after installing new binary pointing to new release channel - #2 by ritvick

Did someone got a chance to look at the root cause or at lease repro this from expo dev team ?

1 Like

hi there!

this sounds like App uses wrong JS bundle after publish then version update · Issue #14372 · expo/expo · GitHub

@jkhales is working on a fix for it

1 Like

Thanks @jkhales , let us know when the fix is pushed, I would be happy to assist you to test it. Thanks so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.