EAS Build iOS failing (Flipper)

ios/Pods/Headers/Public/Flipper-Folly/folly/portability/OpenSSL.h:26:10

Compiling react-native Pods/Flipper-RSocket » TcpConnectionFactory.cpp

❌  (ios/Pods/Headers/Public/Flipper-Folly/folly/portability/OpenSSL.h:26:10)

24 | #include <folly/Portability.h>
  25 | 
> 26 | #include <openssl/opensslv.h>
     |          ^ 'openssl/opensslv.h' file not found
  27 | 
  28 | #include <openssl/asn1.h>
  29 | #include <openssl/bio.h>
  • expo SDK 46
  • managed workflow
  • eas-cli/2.1.0

Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I’m having a similar problem.

Can you share the link to the build where you are facing this for me to take a look so that I can suggest something?

Thanks for taking a look!!

It’s starting to creep up again today: Build Details — 10771367-60ce-45fd-b137-c9ca10843723 — wildlife-vehicle-collision-reporter — Expo

I can’t get any iOS builds to run successfully today. :frowning: @amanhimself, here’s another build to take a look at. Thanks for your help!

i would suggest disabling flipper. the library is not the most reliable and in the best case it will double your build times. if you were using it for debugging, consider this instead https://twitter.com/notbrent/status/1575236873290919936

here is a long thread discussing this error: openssl/opensslv.h' file not found · Issue #28409 · facebook/react-native · GitHub
and a discussion on stackoverflow: reactjs - React Native - npx react-native run-ios doesn't work after initializing the project - Stack Overflow

2 Likes

That looks interesting. Thanks for the tip, I’ll give it a try. Does it allow network traffic inspection? If not, what’s your recommendation for that?

it doesn’t (yet). you may be able to use the community tool react-native-debugger if the limitations of its network requests are fine for you GitHub - jhen0409/react-native-debugger: The standalone app based on official debugger of React Native, and includes React Inspector / Redux DevTools

Seeing this error on my builds as well. I would rather not disable Flipper as a long term solution simply for the network inspection it provides. In the short term, I’ll remove it from our project. Can someone at the Expo team look into this?

this is not related to expo. this is a bug in flipper. you should reach out to the flipper team for support :slight_smile: i personally do not recommend using flipper in its current state.

Sure, but considering we did not update our Flipper dependency and our EAS builds were working just a few weeks ago, I thought I’d bring it up with Expo in the event there was a change in the build process.

i don’t believe any changes would have caused this. this error can also be reproduced locally, completely independent of eas build (see the react-native issue and stackoverflow link i shared in EAS Build iOS failing (Flipper) - #7 by brents). it’s possible that over the past few weeks you cleared or invalidate your build cache which caused Podfile.lock to be re-generated and that may have updated a flipper transitive dependency